Crazy Clams - Like Dirty Water?

reefhunter

In my efforts to make my tank "cleaner" I have reduced feeding to a minimum and I recently did a 20% water change (10% per day two days in a row). Reason for doing this is I have mainly SPS. All my corals look awesome. My clams looked rough and weren't opening all the way right after. Today two look better but one is still not opening all the way....

So my theory is that my water is so clean that the clams are no longer happy... anyone else have this happen... The clams have been great for over a year in this tank...

I am enjoying seeing my tank in the morning with NO algae on the front glass... and the corals looking good.

Am I going to have to feed my clams if I keep a "clean" tank?

I don't know about that... I would target feed reguardless. I have had clams in a zeovit environment and they did just fine... tagging to see what others have found...

I am sure it had something to do with a difference in the water parameters caused by the water change, like SG, PH, or something like that. If it was starving the decline would be a lot slower and they tend to extend the mantle before the decline to grab more light. I am sure they will be fine after they adjust.

Clams do prefer higher nitrates. Some have even taken to using clams in refugia as nitrate scrubbers. I was considering adding a hipopus for just that reason in my old setup. I am still designing my new setup and stocking lists. If I don't have clams in the main display, I will probably set up a 'clam tank' in the back room for looks as well as nitrate reduction.