new tank

Brian13

I am looking into buying a 75 gallon tank. Can anyone help me decide if the lights on this tank will allow me to grow coral and have a happy tank? Any insight on this setup would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tank setup is below

75gal Perfecto Tank w/Black Pine Stand and Glass Lid Covers

Tidepool 2 Filtration Sump with Pump

AquaC Remora Pro Protein Skimmer with Rio 1400 Pump

Coralife Turbo Twist 9w U.V. Sterilizer

40w X 2 Black Flouresent Strip light with Blue Atinic Bulbs

65w X 2 Black Compact Strip light with 10,000k Bulbs

2 light timers

2 powerstrips

Brian,

this is just my opinion so...

the lights might be okay to keep some softies and LPS, but CF lighting systems are not as efficient, or as intense as other technologies. I could imagine that you would rather quickly decide to switch them out for a different system. The UV sterilizer is probably a bit underpowered for a 75 gallon (not including sump) tank. If memory serves me correct, the tidepool system uses a sort of bio-wheel filtration system. Fine for a FO setup, but probably not the best for a reef system. The remora skimmer will be undersized, especially with the rio pump.

Garrett.

Two questions:

1. Are the flourescent the normal output ones typically sold for basic aquariums?

2. Are these lights you want to use because you already have them?

I have the NO. flo and PC mishmash on a clown tank which has a couple softies in it, the only difference being that the daylight and actinic bulbs are mixed between fixtures. I threw the tank together at the last minute using what was in the house.

If budget is an issue, keep softies only for now and save up some money for new equipment. There are many very beautiful softie-only tanks and they are easier to take care of.

Edited by treesprite