AquaConnect Bulbs- does anyone run them?

scott711

Scott,

I don't run them, but they are par monsters with a great look. I use radiums at the moment and will continue to do so, but if I was going to do an SPS system with clams I would seriously consider the AC.

Garrett.

Research. I probably have the spectral output somewhere, or you can get it from Sanjay's site. On an HQI ballast the AC put's out the same amount of par as an XM 10k DE lamp does, but the spectral plot is so much nicer, IMO. I would put it up for you, but I'm limited to what I can access here at work and can't get on a hosting site to upload the plot. They are also spec'd for an HQI ballast so you can expect to get from 12-14 months out of them (which is good, cause they ain't cheap).

G.

Edit: In fact, I was just looking at the plot and the XM has a big spike in the "blah" portion of the plot and the AC has a big spike in the 450nm wavelength. Me likey blue.

Edited by gastone

Scott, just like the radiums, the AC are mogul lamps that are spec'd for a M80 ballast. I'm no lighting expert, but I've spoken to guys online who are and they claim that these lamps will have a shortened life if used with an electronic ballast. This is just what I've been told mind you. Then again, Chris T. uses radiums with an electronic ballast and he swears by them (I don't know how often he changes out his lamps). I know of a guy down this way by me that was using the ACs on clam tank. He still had them lamps after like 18 months of use. Again, this was on an HQI ballast.

Personally I love the radiums. I doubt I'll use a different lamp after using them, as I can't imagine a lamp producing a better color than them, and though the par numbers may not be as high as some of the 10k lamps, nothing that I've put under them has suffered from light deprivation IMO.

G.

scott, go with Radiums I'm real happy with the coloration of my corals since I went with radiums.

Scott, just like the radiums, the AC are mogul lamps that are spec'd for a M80 ballast. I'm no lighting expert, but I've spoken to guys online who are and they claim that these lamps will have a shortened life if used with an electronic ballast. This is just what I've been told mind you. Then again, Chris T. uses radiums with an electronic ballast and he swears by them (I don't know how often he changes out his lamps). I know of a guy down this way by me that was using the ACs on clam tank. He still had them lamps after like 18 months of use. Again, this was on an HQI ballast.

Personally I love the radiums. I doubt I'll use a different lamp after using them, as I can't imagine a lamp producing a better color than them, and though the par numbers may not be as high as some of the 10k lamps, nothing that I've put under them has suffered from light deprivation IMO.

G.

Thanks guys, I will go with the radiums. They are cheaper too

Dang I was hoping you'd go with the ACs. Then I could see them firsthand without having to buy some :)

They look along the lines of Reeflux 12ks (which I have in Lumenbright reflectors with Coralvue eballasts--white with a nice blue hue) IMO...but I saw them on an electronic ballast which will not drive them to spec (so they may look more white on a proper M80). They are also suppose to be equivalent to the Phoenix 14K DE (which I have also had on the M80 these are white with the nice blue hue) bulbs.

And from what I've read Gastone is correct...without the proper M80 ballast you will experience shorter bulb life (9 months or so vs 12-18 months with the M80) because you will be underdriving the bulb quite a bit.

Edited by Fuzznutz