Nano Scam?

jason the filter freak

I read the whole post and the guy didn't have anything in the tank when he filled it up and it only held 20 or so gallons. That is not 29. I think there is probably displacement for the false wall and all that, but not 7 gallons worth of displacement.

So if it only holds 20-22 when empty, it holds a lot less than that when it's filled with rock and livesand. I think most of us make the assumption that a 29 gal tank holds 29 gal without taking into consideration of displacement. I did when I got my first nano. It didn't take me long to figure that out.

Sandy

Tanks are offered with sizes based on overall exterior displacement of the tank and tend to be rounded up.

Hence, exterior dimensions: L"xW"xH" / 231 = gallons, then rounded up will never actually hold the "advertised" amount of fluid. Especially since tanks are rarely if ever filled to the rim. All in ones suffer even more, they have compartments designed to run at lower then water level inorder to direct flow in a single direction.

fwiw: I have a 70gal room divider AIO, it holds <55gals of actual water. Less then that with rock, sand, etc. Exterior dimensions calculate very close to 70gal.

I read the whole post and the guy didn't have anything in the tank when he filled it up and it only held 20 or so gallons. That is not 29. I think there is probably displacement for the false wall and all that, but not 7 gallons worth of displacement.

So if it only holds 20-22 when empty, it holds a lot less than that when it's filled with rock and livesand. I think most of us make the assumption that a 29 gal tank holds 29 gal without taking into consideration of displacement. I did when I got my first nano. It didn't take me long to figure that out.

Sandy

"well i put 20 gallons of water in the whole thing with rock and sand so AT MOST its 25 gallon i would proably say around 22 gallons

So really for lighting if it is 29 gallons you would say 2.4 watts per gallon

but if u factor ACTUAL WATER IT HOLD IN THE MAIN TANK i would say your a little over 3.2 watts per gallon

Make sense?? "

Emphasis on the fact that if you read the post he does state that the rock and sand are in the tank. My 8 gallon biocube held 8 gallons before I added the sand and rock work, I tested it out of curiousity. After 8-9 lbs of sand and another pound or two of rock I think it is down to 5 or six gallons of actual water. I anticipated this as all I wanted to do was increase my 3 gallons filtering efficiency and compacity as well as double my current water volume. Taking in to consideration potential displacement I purchased the 8 gallon.

Edited by Mrlimpitfish

I stand corrected, I didn't look at the names as I kept reading. It was 3 or 4 other people who stated that their nano tanks without sand and rock didn't hold nearly the volume of water they claimed to hold.

Sandy

"well i put 20 gallons of water in the whole thing with rock and sand so AT MOST its 25 gallon i would proably say around 22 gallons

So really for lighting if it is 29 gallons you would say 2.4 watts per gallon

but if u factor ACTUAL WATER IT HOLD IN THE MAIN TANK i would say your a little over 3.2 watts per gallon

Make sense?? "

Emphasis on the fact that if you read the post he does state that the rock and sand are in the tank. My 8 gallon biocube held 8 gallons before I added the sand and rock work, I tested it out of curiousity. After 8-9 lbs of sand and another pound or two of rock I think it is down to 5 or six gallons of actual water. I anticipated this as all I wanted to do was increase my 3 gallons filtering efficiency and compacity as well as double my current water volume. Taking in to consideration potential displacement I purchased the 8 gallon.