feeding large(ish) fish

treesprite

How do other people feed their large or sort-of large fish when most of the other fish are small?

My female tomato clown has a cavern for a mouth, and she is predominantly the reason I over-feed the tank. She can hold almost an entire frozen misis cube in her mouth and eat it without dropping any, and then still want more food. Flakes and pellets look like nothing in her mouth and so I feel like I have to put a ton of the stuff in the tank when the other fish can't possibly eat what she doesn't dart fast enough around to catch. I don't like feeling like I'm starving her while at the same time knowing I'm trashing my water.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Well in my tank at least the tangs are the ones that swope in and try to take most of the food. What I try to do is drop a little on one side of the tank then drop some on the other. That way I know at least some of it is getting to the other fish. Also when I feed PEmysis I make sure to defrost the cubes first then use my grabber (lack of better words) to grab some, then I kind of stir a bit around so the mysis doesn't fall in clumps. Seems to help and I feel that everyone is getting enough. Although I do have a tendency to drop a little more than is needed.

It's not exactly what I mean. I'm not worried about the smaller fish getting enough, I'm worried about polluting my tank because there's too much, for them to eat; the reason there is too much for them, it that I feel like I need to use a ton to make sure the big clown gets enough before it either sinks or goes in the overflow.

One thing to try is to use large (or just larger) pellet food. In my tank, only my tangs eats the large pellets, as the others can't fit it in their mouths. That will allow you to target feed your bigger fish, while not overfeeding the smaller ones.

Jon