amos 90 gallon reef

amos

Last weekend, I built a small, simple canopy to fit over my Tek Light. I did this to prevent jumpers (which I recently lost my bluejaw to), to minimize splashing from my white-cheek, who learned to splash water out of the tank to get attention, and to reduce the spill over of light that distracted away from the tank.

The canopy fits right over the teklight, which is screwed into it, and sits right on the frame of the tank. There is a "guide" that fits over the center brace to prevent left or right sliding. I opted for just a simple, hinged front to allow for feeding and minor activities inside of the tank.

hood0010.jpg

hood0012.jpg

hood0013.jpg

hood0011.jpg

Of course, with every "solution" comes another problem. So my tank, which normally runs 80-82, hit 83 yesterday with the enclosed canopy (and I had yet to put the plastic backing on the back end). I went ahead and ordered a fan and a RKL to make sure things remained stable (that will be my next post). I guess I can no longer classify my setup as minimalist, but hey, that's half the fun.

Jon

• 4 months later...

The tank hasn't been the top priority recently, so it needs some TLC, but everything seems to be fairly stable. I added a reefkeeper lite to control hood venting (no pics), and that's worked flawlessly. I'm hovering between 81-82, and expect that to dip this winter.

_MG_0803_1.jpg

A few posts back, there's a pic of this as a new frag I bought last spring. Seems to have grown pretty well. I already have four or so frags of it I'm getting ready to sell/trade.

fpmonti.jpg

I'm doing some hard thinking on focusing in the livestock. I've done enough experimenting to see what I can do with this setup, and am considering a more thoughtful focus on particular species. Just some thoughts.

Jon

that flower petal took off. are you dosing anything. reason i ask, is my frag has gotten much bigger since you picked it up for me, but no where near the growth you have. I only do water changes and do not dose anything.

that flower petal took off. are you dosing anything. reason i ask, is my frag has gotten much bigger since you picked it up for me, but no where near the growth you have. I only do water changes and do not dose anything.

I've never gotten into dosing. I just try and maintain 10% weekly water changes. I feel like monti caps tend to take off when they hit a certain size due to their growth pattern (growing outward on every side). This is probably 8 months of growth. Yours will probably do the same!

Looking excellent and very nice growth, Jon. Has the slimer hit surface yet?

Thanks Dan! Yeah, the slimer has hit surfaced in two places. When I cleaned out the "teeth" on the overflow box (of algae), it lowered the water even more recently, so I've got a few tips that are done for.

Jon

• 1 year later...

I recently lost my oldest and most beloved fish, a goldrim tang that I purchased from, of all places, petco in 2004. It reminded me that although my focus has been on corals the last few years, that reason I got into the hobby was the fish. I hope that he had a good long life in the tank.

fish.jpg

that stinks. did it die of just old age?

He got ich and the some parasites. I had him in hyposalinity but it caught up to him unfortunately...

Jon