hole in the cap of Toadstool leather

stevearlen

According to http://www.reefpedia.com/index.php/Sarcophyton ...

"Why is there a hole in my leather?

Typically, a hole in the cap of your Toadstool leather is the beginning of the coral's reproduction. As the hole grows larger and approaches the edge of the cap, a small piece of the coral will dangle from the mother colony and eventually drop."

Any experience with this? Hoe long does it take?

According to http://www.reefpedia.com/index.php/Sarcophyton ...

"Why is there a hole in my leather?

Typically, a hole in the cap of your Toadstool leather is the beginning of the coral's reproduction. As the hole grows larger and approaches the edge of the cap, a small piece of the coral will dangle from the mother colony and eventually drop."

Any experience with this? Hoe long does it take?

IMO that's rubbish. Based on hard experience, it is the beginning of a bacterial infection, and will ultimately kill the coral if it is not excised.

I tend to agree. You can chop out the bad parts and cut the remaining parts into multiple frags. If all else fails, let me know. My toadstool is in need of another haircut already so I will have plenty of frags to share.

I tend to agree. You can chop out the bad parts and cut the remaining parts into multiple frags.....

All,

Thanks for your input.

The deed is done. Didst thou not hear a noise?

Steve

Edited by stevearlen

I have a neon sinularia that had some tissue degradation in the base. I blew out all the rotting tissue with a powerhead and sealed the exposed tissue and the base with superglue. It appears to be making a full recovery.

You could try this strategy and see if it works for you.