Recharge your DI Resin

Brian Ward

For those of you that may not have seen it, there is an article in this month's ReefKeeper magazine about how to recharge your DI resin. Useful if you're tired of buying it since it's quite expensive. And if you have high phosphates or chlorine in your water like we do in DC, it gets depleted quickly. I haven't tried it yet since I purchased a very large quantity of DI resin a while back. But I think I will start saving my exhausted resin and give it a shot later.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-09/nftt/index.php

I've thought about doing that as well and my do so in the future. At $39.95 for enough resin for 4 refills though and with one refresh being good for 6 months or more in my system, I don't consider it to be that expensive.

By the way, if chlorine is causing your DI resin to become depleted quickly, you have bigger problem than the cost of DI resin. Chlorine should be removed by the carbon prefilters. Any chlorine that makes it past the carbon prefilters will cause damage to your RO membrane which will then cause your DI resin to deplete *very* fast!

I read the article with interest, too, Brian. I may save my old DI resin just to give it a try and to say that I did. Though, as Bob notes, it's really not that expensive when you consider how long it lasts.