Guy's Soon to Be 220g Build

amay121

So, I'm in my planning phase with a list of items that I'll need. :)

Tank Dimensions - 72"L x 24"W x 30"D

Lighting:

Ballast 3 x SLS Galaxy 250W Ballast or 3 x IC 250W Electronic Ballast

Bulb 3 x Radium 20K

Reflector LumenMax Elite Mogul

Lighting Timing:

Ballast 1: 8:00pm - 4:00am

Ballast 2: 9:00pm - 5:00am

Ballast 3: 10:00pm - 6:00am

Sump:

100g Rubbermaid Trough (TSC)

Refugium:

40g Long (Maybe I'll upgrade this to one of those 150g troughs or whatever the are.)

Return Pump:

Dart

Split two ways to 2 x 1" Sea Swirls

Additional Flow:

CL with OM-4way on Dart

Skimmer:

Reeflo Orca 200

Calcium Reactor:

Korallin 3002

Controller:

Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Elite

ReefType:

Mainly SPS

Inverts:

Clams

Shimp (Cleaner, Peppermint)

Snails (cerith, astrea, etc).

NO HERMIT CRABS

Fish:

6 x Lyretail Anthias

3 x False Perc Clowns

6 x Green Chromis

Royal Gramma

Lawnmower Blenny

Scribbled Rabbitfish

I'll be picking the tank up this weekend I hope.

Anyone see anything else I'm missing?

Edited by amay121

T5 has the same 'front end' cost as the MH's, but they run fewer watts, which equals less electricity cost, less cost to cool the tank/room, less cost in evaporation and (potentially) less cost in bulbs.

...but as Mark will undoubtedly point out, you don't get the nifty 'shimmer' :)

What are your plans for filtration and calcium make-up? Are you going with a calcium reactor, kalkreactor, or both?

You'll also want to pick out a controller. I don't run ozone or UV, but some do and you'll have to consider whether these are right for you.

Jon

Anyone see anything else I'm missing?

Edited by Jon Lazar

Do I even need a kalkwasser unit or can I just go straight calcium reactor, or both in conjunction?

Added my skimmers.

Mr. Tang,

I priced it out and all.

16 3ft. T5 = 624 Watts (IC overdrives the bulbs, not sure how much for the 3 fters).

3 250W = 750Watts

Cost For Ballast/Reflector/Bulb MH = ~$1150

Cost For Ballast/Reflector/Bulb/etc = ~$1550

Change of bulbs for MH (6-12 Months) = ~$270

Change of bulbs for T5 (6-12 Months) = 16 * $21 = ~$336

So it's almost a wash, not quite but almost. Also, there's the issue of the depth of the tank. 30", that may go barebottom, or SSB

Edited by amay121

Until you have the demands of a Ca reactor, you should just stick with a Kalk stirrer. The higher the pH, the better, and the Kalk stirrer will help raise your pH quite a bit. You'd be surprised at the level of sps you have to get to before a Kalk stirrer won't get the job done. Especially with the amount of top off water you'll have running through the stirrer for a tank that size. In general, the effluect of the Ca reactor lowers most peoples pH in the tank.

Forgot to add in, while searching through premiumaquatics "clearance" section, I found this pump:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=Clearance

They started with 12 of them about a week ago, and are down to 3 now. I was almost tempted to get one myself at that price, but I have enough crap laying around already.

James,

I saw that too, but this is a slow build. I'll be acquiring my parts extremely slow hence the 6 months to 12 months. I still have to go and pickup up the tank. :)

James,

I saw that too, but this is a slow build. I'll be acquiring my parts extremely slow hence the 6 months to 12 months. I still have to go and pickup up the tank. :)

Gotcha. I knew you were trying to move slow, but 3600gph of flow for only $150, I wanted to at least make sure you know about it. Why don't we both get one and split the shipping? :biggrin: Just kidding man......unless your you're serious ;)

hahaha. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a good used pump when time comes. Thats an advantage of picking out pieces over a long time period. Its no problem waiting for the great deals to arrive.

Mr. Tang,

I priced it out and all.

16 3ft. T5 = 624 Watts (IC overdrives the bulbs, not sure how much for the 3 fters).

3 250W = 750Watts

Cost For Ballast/Reflector/Bulb MH = ~$1150

Cost For Ballast/Reflector/Bulb/etc = ~$1550

Change of bulbs for MH (6-12 Months) = ~$270

Change of bulbs for T5 (6-12 Months) = 16 * $21 = ~$336

Actually, if you just go with the TEK retrofits and don't overdrive the bulbs, you will only have to change the T5s every 15 to 18 months.