Temp. consistenly 75-76 should I raise it w/heater?

Sikryd

Since I have my ACIII hooked up now, I can see that my temp. is 75-76 pretty much all the time. I was wondering if I should raise it up a bit, or if this is alright.

I seem to have good growth of all the softies (too soon to tell with anything else since the tank has only been up for 1.5months I guess). Actually I am blown away how fast some of the mushrooms and stuff are growing.

What is an ideal target temp?

Thanks

I was wondering that same thing myself. Been having been issues with heat, so I went out and purchased some table fans and I saw the temp drop from 84-75 this morning. Ugh. Maybe a little too fast. Anyways, I'm gonna shoot for 78-80. This is where I get my best results. Others have great results from 76-77. :)

I don't see a problem with anything between 74-78. I shoot for 76 but this summer has been tough to get the temp anywhere near that and I've been at or above 80 most days, not good overall. I don't think you should raise the temperature a bit.

I don't see a problem with anything between 74-78. I shoot for 76 but this summer has been tough to get the temp anywhere near that and I've been at or above 80 most days, not good overall. I don't think you should raise the temperature a bit.

Are you sure about this? I am sure a lot depends on what you have in your tank, but I am under the impression that 80 is fine and that 82-83 can do wonders to jump start/ increase coral growth. Stability is the big factor.

Are you sure about this? I am sure a lot depends on what you have in your tank, but I am under the impression that 80 is fine and that 82-83 can do wonders to jump start/ increase coral growth. Stability is the big factor.

keep it around 76, I keep my frag tank at 76-77 yeear round and get impressive growth rates and quality health.

...Stability is the big factor...

I tend to agree, but then again in the ocean reef environment there are all kinds of currents and temperature thermoclines and the fish/corals seem to be doing ok. As long as the temp is between 74-80 you should be fine. I wouldn't try to raise the temp unless it drops below 75.

--Rob

If I could keep it at 75-76 in the summer, I would. Higher temps incease metabolic load, decrease O2 saturation and generally put things closer to the edge. In the fall/winter/spring, my tanks hover in the 76 range and show excellent growth and general happiness.

If I could keep it at 75-76 in the summer, I would. Higher temps incease metabolic load, decrease O2 saturation and generally put things closer to the edge. In the fall/winter/spring, my tanks hover in the 76 range and show excellent growth and general happiness.

Agree 100% with Dave. Lower temps are usually tolerated much more than higher temps. 82 really is pushing the threshold. 78 is great. 75-76... you're golden, especially with the Indo-pacific corals you are likely keeping (IP is, generally though not always, a few degrees cooler than the Caribbean).

Cheers

Mike

I don't know where I heard this, but I always thought 75 was the ideal temp for the zooxanthella algea and above 82 photosynthesis stopped all together. I just found a study proving that wrong though.

"61 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit" With stability being the key factor (like you said) as a temp shock can cause the cell walls of the zooxanthelea to rupture.

http://www.cotf.edu/ete/modules/coralreef/CRcoralreefs.html

My 9gallon LED tank runs at 75 F. The critters in there look very happy. My other tanks are closer to 78-80 and critters in there are fairly happy as well. I would drop the temp in those tanks to 75 as well, but I don't have a chiller.

Edited by Integral9

(edited)

geeze what i woulndt give to have issues with my tank temps being too low... shoot for 78to80

Yeah, we like it on the nippy side...literally :eek:

Thankfully we have all energy efficient stuff. It makes a big difference in expense.

Right on, I guess I won't mess with it. From the ACIII graph it looks like we have about a 1 degree swing, so thats good.

Edited by Sikryd

The following is a link to a disccussion about what are the best temps & salinity by Dr Craig Bingman & Rob Toonen. He keeps his tanks between 80-82 for reasons disclosed in this thread: http://www.reefs.org/library/article/bingman_toonen.html

A lot of it has to do with where your corals come from. I've been keeping my tank between 80-82 since I read this article. Most of us do not have a species specific tank. :)

Edited by Highland Reefer

Wow..seems to be quite a varied range....i am having a HECK of a time keeping below 82 in my nano..will be getting fans...would like to be around 78..not too hot..not too cool. I only have softies.