Scientists solve riddle of toxic algae blooms

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it in a quick search.

Answer? Phosphorus.

Seems like they could've just asked some of the experts on this forum!!

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonis...4e-34239419bf67

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it in a quick search.

Answer? Phosphorus.

Seems like they could've just asked some of the experts on this forum!!

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonis...4e-34239419bf67

I'm thinking a gigantic phosban reactor the size of Rhode Island would do the trick. Get Dandy on that.

Quite a waste of research dollars to take 37 years to figure out that phosphates grow algae. Or, that guy must be one good grant writer to keep getting funded.

If you look below the surface, so to speak, there is a lesson here for us. People endlessly blame nitrate for algae blooms and other evils in their tanks, yet the study showed that nitrate without phosphate didn't do much.

If you look below the surface, so to speak, there is a lesson here for us. People endlessly blame nitrate for algae blooms and other evils in their tanks, yet the study showed that nitrate without phosphate didn't do much.

agreed, however nitrates alone in a reef environment can lead to coral death... so in a sense we have to be mind full to not pollute our systems by over feeding and maintaining proper water changes. right?

agreed, however nitrates alone in a reef environment can lead to coral death... so in a sense we have to be mind full to not pollute our systems by over feeding and maintaining proper water changes. right?

And, in the same way, we should probably be mindful of runoff of both nitrogen- and phosophorous-based feritilizers in terms of the health of rivers and estuaries. But what the study showed was that phosorous was worse, and efforts should be probably be more focused on it.

Anyway, I think sometimes people forget that there is a difference between "knowing" that X causes Y, and actually having evidence for it. Especially in field studies, it is often a very long, painful process to get real data bearing on a complex problem.