New lights = overheating

Guest steudlee

Guest steudlee

I finally upgraded my 75 g tank from basic flourescents to a TEK T5 6 bulb fixture. Everything looks fantastic now but I have a little problem - the bulbs are overheating everything.

I don't have a sump (big cannister right now) and was assuming this might be my best bet to pull some water away from the heat source. This is on my list of things to do but just wasn't at the top.

The other idea was to remove the glass shields from the top of the tank. I know this is keeping things warm however do I need to worry about water splashing on the bulbs?

Yesterday my tank went up about 3.5 degrees over the course of the day with the lights on however it only dropped 1 degree with the lights off :(

Thanks for any suggestions.

Did you get the arcylic shield for the light fixture? If not I would get the shield, until then raise the lights up a little off the tank, they should take some spray without a problem. I would guess that the glass tops on the tank are holding alot of heat in. Put a fan on the tank to blow across the top of the tank to disapate the heat. I run the 8 bulb Tek T5 on my tank about 4" off the water and the tank doesn't usually get over 80 degrees with the fan on.

First off, what temperatures are you talking about?

I would remove the glass tank cover. It isn't needed unless you have something like an eel that might climb out. You really don't want water splashing on any bulb but if water does splash on T5 bulbs will not make them explode like a MH bulb. With the glass off you will remove what is currently a greenhouse effect and allow evaporation to take place which will help cool the tank. You will also allow better oxygen exchange.

Depending on your type of hood, you can leave the lid open to allow the heat to escape.

I would add a fan to take the hot air away from the tank.

One big factor is what you keep you house temperature at. It is hard to keep a tank cool if the house is at 80.

How long do you run the lights? Can you cut back an hour during the summer?

Guest steudlee

Thanks guys. I took off the glass lids off the other evening and the temp. noticably dropped to around 76 or so.

Here'e what it did yesterday. AM temperature was 76 (Lights were off). Temperature at end of day - 80.

Is this too much of a daily variation? I haven't added a fan yet, I will but just need to figure out how to rig it up. Also this is in the basement, air temperature is about 74 or so.

Thanks guys. I took off the glass lids off the other evening and the temp. noticably dropped to around 76 or so.

Here'e what it did yesterday. AM temperature was 76 (Lights were off). Temperature at end of day - 80.

Is this too much of a daily variation? I haven't added a fan yet, I will but just need to figure out how to rig it up. Also this is in the basement, air temperature is about 74 or so.

I'd set your heaters for 78/79 and your temp should stay with in a degree or so throughout the day. 74/76 is a little cool TBH.