Sump design

blaze98

Okay, I am designing my first sump and the foot print of the skimmer I plan on getting is 9.5 x 13 so the 14 inch space is designed for the skimmer. The fuge will only be 10 inches, but I want to put the last baffle at an angle to let the water slide down it into the return area which will only be 3 inches wide at the bottom. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and welcome.

All baffles in the pic are 12 inches high.

Sumpdesign1.jpg

i am assuming the pump is external and he wants a slant baffle to keep down the bubbles going into the compartment that the pump is attached to. Is that correct?

the pump is internal, a Mag 5

i am assuming the pump is external and he wants a slant baffle to keep down the bubbles going into the compartment that the pump is attached to. Is that correct?

the purpose of the slant is to reduce bubbles and noise but the pump is internal

I was considering cutting teeth in the last baffle and just placing it upright so I could have more room in the return chamber

the pump is internal, a Mag 5

the purpose of the slant is to reduce bubbles and noise but the pump is internal

I was considering cutting teeth in the last baffle and just placing it upright so I could have more room in the return chamber

That's going to be a better option - the water running down the slant will agitate when it hits the bottom and create bubbles.

You can still have a slant, but decrease it. I have a similiar design and size, but where you have the fuge is my return section (about 8in wide) and to the right of that is the fuge. The fuge is fed off a split of the return and a ball valve on the split going to the fuge (pic2). I did this to have a slow flow through the fuge area. Even though the flow over this baffle is long and has the potential of making a lot of noise and bubbles, the slow flow negates this.

You can see this in this old picture and I have the wall of the fuge near the top of the sump. BTW I have a Mag 12 return. Also I made the space between the first and second baffle a bit large and put an eggcrate shelf in there. I then use this to put any bagged filter media on.

gallery_490_60_138408.jpg

gallery_490_60_128775.jpg

I have considered placing my return in the middle section, is there any drawback to this? Does your cheato receive enough flow to grow at a good pace?

(edited)

Even though the fuge section is narrow and deep, I have always had growth, even down in the no light areas where is is the darkest green and always trim out chaeto. I have a 4 in sand bed in here also.

Edited by rioreef

I have considered placing my return in the middle section, is there any drawback to this? Does your cheato receive enough flow to grow at a good pace?

In the middle is where Melev puts the return in his sumps (www.melevsreef.com) I like that better because you can actually control how much flow goes to the fuge vs. how much goes through a normal filtration loop. You generally want flow through the fuge much slower than for filtration - 1x-2x/hr vs. 7x-10x/hr.

(edited)

You guys are so helpful, thanks for the advice. I have my plumbing designed to drain into a fuge on the far right side so I will place my return in the middle, I was simply going to close the ball valve so no water flowed to this end, but it will work with this design. With the baffles going straight up and down so that should allow me a few inches for my return section. I am thinking 14" for the main drain (skimmer) section, 9" for the fuge, 2" for the bubble trap and 5" for the return, now to get the teeth cut....any suggestions on spacing?

Edited by blaze98