convict tang question

GaryL

hi johnny, have a question about the convict tang i purchased from you saturday, and it seems to only want fresh macro. i dont guess its a problem and it actually hangs out with the sailfin and kinda mimics what she does e.g. nip at nori.... but not yet any other food. i quess my question is is there a good way to train it to other types of food? or is it food specific?

the weird thing with it is...like i said earlier it buddies around with the sailfin...but my clown doesnt seem to like her. next time i'm up there i will get her a bf! :)

Not to butt in, well, okay, I am, but convict tangs are herbivores and graze all day on algae. What else were you looking to feed it? They typically travel in schools (awesome sight if you ever get to see them in the wild traveling in huge schools!) and are not necessarily that aggressive, although some of the literature would suggest otherwise. I have seen some cool videos of them traveling along in their schools and running into small schools of other fish, like powder blues, and they give them a wide berth due to the much more aggressive nature of these fish.

Not to butt in, well, okay, I am, but convict tangs are herbivores and graze all day on algae. What else were you looking to feed it? They typically travel in schools (awesome sight if you ever get to see them in the wild traveling in huge schools!) and are not necessarily that aggressive, although some of the literature would suggest otherwise. I have seen some cool videos of them traveling along in their schools and running into small schools of other fish, like powder blues, and they give them a wide berth due to the much more aggressive nature of these fish.

was thinking a mix of nori, macro and flake..even tho my sailfin eats everything i put in the water even me on occasion. my hippo and yellow used to eat everything including mysis and brine shrimp just like the sailfin.

was thinking a mix of nori, macro and flake..even tho my sailfin eats everything i put in the water even me on occasion. my hippo and yellow used to eat everything including mysis and brine shrimp just like the sailfin.

It will take some time before he eats anything else, the macro is what he is used to eating in the wild, all day long.....just keep him fat and continue to feed your tank as normal, he will come around.

It will take some time before he eats anything else, the macro is what he is used to eating in the wild, all day long.....just keep him fat and continue to feed your tank as normal, he will come around.

When I bought an achilles from BRK a month ago, he was eating gracillaria and the veggie dainichi pellets in qt. Johnny, do you guys always feed those pellets to the fish in your qt system? The Convict Tang may eat them if he's already familiar with them.

When I bought an achilles from BRK a month ago, he was eating gracillaria and the veggie dainichi pellets in qt. Johnny, do you guys always feed those pellets to the fish in your qt system? The Convict Tang may eat them if he's already familiar with them.

we feed dainichi to all our fish, but it is hard to keep track who is eating what.......

the lil guy seems to nip on all the nori i put in there...still dont know if he is geting enough...so i throw some macro in there for him/her/it