Help - Anemone

My Green Bubble Tip Anemone has moved from a hole in a rock with full light (its previous long term home) to moving outside the rock on to the sand, up the side of my reef and now into a cave with little light.

This is Bethesda Jims old tank, this is my one week anniversary of having it set up here, 6 days since the anemone was placed in the tank. Jim thought it was on the verge of splitting. I have not tested my paramters tonight but all week PH 8.4 zero nitrates, trites and ammonia.

Salinity with a Swing Arm Hydrometer just tested at 1.025 (un adjusted) at 82 degrees.

I am still playing with the flow in my tank - so that may be it -

BUT I AM SUPRISED IT IS IN A CAVE.

Its clown is picking at the ends and flipping sand on it...

IDEAS?

Glad someone finally said something....

I am thinking I may need to feed it better. Bethesda Jim gave the whole tank flake. I am using Rod's Reef dissolving in SW and then adding it. But not doing target feeding. Since this is in some ways a new tank there may not be all of the small food floating around that it is used to having.

Don't know guess I am not smart enough to out think something that is completely responsive to its environment...

Once you stop making changes to it's environment, it will calm down and settle into a spot it likes. Changing the direction of flow will cause it to continue to move towards IT'S idea of a good spot.

Trying to keep the zoa polyps and the xenia happy along with the anemone is entertaining (not)!

Thanks.

Once you stop making changes to it's environment, it will calm down and settle into a spot it likes. Changing the direction of flow will cause it to continue to move towards IT'S idea of a good spot.

I just recently placed a RTBA in my tank I placed it in a spot between some rocks were the flow is neither strong nor calm. I noticed it ran under a rock and is now slowly comming out after I turned off one of the pumps. My clowns have not had an anemone in the tank for about six months. Well more like I never got an anemone till now. How long does it take for them to realise one is in the tank?

Well the silly anemone seems happy this morning. Its tentacles are out about 3-4" from the rock. Can it menace an Acan Lord? Because that Acan is firmly attached on a foot or more piece of rock - which is not going anywhere...

I would now like to move the rock it once lived on since that puppy is about 8 inches long but that may perturb the anemone. Maybe I will move it slowly away. It takes up some sand that I would like for other things (although thinking out loud I may not be able to use that area any way since it will be in the reach of the tentacles...)

This is harder than raising 5 year olds...

They know it's there.

Some may never host in it while others will host almost as fast as you put it in.

'nems really have their own idea of comfort.

It will hurt the acan for sure if touches, so it's your call what to move. If you keep moving though the anemone might start walking again and nobody knows where it will end up.

So, just curious. I should let the animals do there thing. What are some good tips for a RBTA? I spent a pretty penny on the little guy and I don't want to kill it. And how often should I target feed the guy?

IF you REALLY need to move it, I've been told that you can sucessfully get it's foot loose by running an ice cube around it's foot. BUT that doesn't mean it will stay put and not move from were you put it. :biggrin: