little white sponges EVERYWHERE!

lletellier

Just like it says... I have these little white sponges poping up all over my tank. I want to know if there is anything I can do about them other than removing them manually which is a pain! I can get a picture if that helps but I figure someone has to know what they are and what I can do about them...

they will turn into big white sponges and take over your liverock, if they are like the stuff in my tank. They are good filter feeders but they don't look very nice. Yesterday I read an article somewhere about using sponge in refugiums.... I knew I couldn't be the only one who ever thought of that.

anything to eat/kill them??

I think purple linkia stars eat sponge.

(edited)

I have a crap ton of them all over my tank but they always stay in shadow and don't really populate the surfaces of the rock that receive light during the day, which is a ok with me nothing like sponges to take up nutrients, soak the stuff up like a sponge... mine haven't ever gotten any bigger than a pencil in width

Edited by jason the filter freak

Lance, are yours the long thin things or the ones that grow over the rock? Mine are the kind that grow over the rock, not the long skinny things.

If they are Scypha/Sycon/Pineapple sponges, they won't grow larger, just will reproduce until they hit their natural limit.

If they are the greyish white invasive sponges.....good luck!

-R