$@!@#!!* RED BUGS

bprinehart

Well I've just now noticed that I have a red bug infestation. I know exactly where they came from, an LFS, and have showed the manager the bugs, and hope to prevent them from losing any corals or business from the problem. I have a major problem though, as most of my corals are Acros, so I'm really freaking out.

Currently I only see them on the two acros that are in relatively close proximity to each other, none of the others on the other side of the tank appear to be infested currently.

I've been to several local vets, and have been unsuccessful in obtaining any interceptor, due to the tight FDA regs, and them not wanting to encourage any "off-label" uses.

My plan of attack is currently to remove all of my acros and place them in quarantine, until I can come up with a better plan :blush: . I'm planning on keeping the known infested ones separate from the ones that don't appear to be ATM.

Is there anything other than interceptor that will kill these little s@#^s, without killing the corals themselves? Would freshwater or iodine dips help at all?

BTW, I recognize that this was a completely avoidable situation had I simply chosen to quarantine the frag before placing it in my display, but I did not, and now I have to bite the bullet and deal with this.

Any advice would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks

Brian "I WILL QUARANTINE EVERY CORAL FROM NOW ON" R.

First of all calm down. They are very easy to treat without losing anything. Treat the whole tank and take out any inverts. Treat once a week for three weeks. Each time let the medicine kick in for 6 hours or so and do a big water change and run carbon. After the water change put the inverts back in. Again it could be alot worst.

Hey Chris-

Are you talking about treating with Interceptor? If so that's the major problem I have right now, all of the vets I've been to won't dispense it except for dogs.

Any other available meds that will wipe them out?

Thx for the advice btw.

First of all calm down. They are very easy to treat without losing anything. Treat the whole tank and take out any inverts. Treat once a week for three weeks. Each time let the medicine kick in for 6 hours or so and do a big water change and run carbon. After the water change put the inverts back in. Again it could be alot worst.

i can get some interceptor but yes thats what im talking about. You can also order it online. You need the one for large dogs. Its $40 for 6 pills. 1/4 of a pill goes a long way

So my wife comes home last night after I had been looking for most of the evening for Interceptor. I tell her about my situation, she goes into the medicine cabinet, and comes out with 1 of the large dog tablets, and says "Do you mean these? Why didn't you say so?" Turns out she had the vet change their meds a few months ago, but we have one tablet left. Should be more than enough to treat my tank for the full 3 dose regimen.

I had no idea what we were even giving them. :blush: Good turn of events however. I will be moving my shrimp and crabs over to the nano later this weekend and dosing the interceptor. Asta la vista...Red Bugs!

BTW thanks to everyone who has offered advice, reassurance. Much appreciated.