MY water parameters...

lanman

(edited)

I use Salifert for everything. I just bought the Salifert kh test kit. When compared to the AP kit, they are the same, except the Salifert is more detailed in the readings which has its advantages. The AP kits are much easier, faster & cheaper. I think the AP kits are great for monitoring & are adequate unless you are trying to determine your calcium, magnesium or alkalinity consumption. I have not tried the LaMotte kits yet. :biggrin: My two cents.

Edited by Highland Reefer

(edited)

I want to get my mag. levels up to about 1400 to test Chris' theory. :biggrin: Anybody know where I can buy Mag Flakes? :why:

Edit: I'm also curious where other successful members like Rik & Copps keep their mag. levels at as well as their other water parameters. I know when I talked to Copps after the last meeting, he had stated that he is not concerned about pH as much as his kH.

Edited by Highland Reefer

kh/dkh is the key to stabilize the PH. Once the kh/dkh is in between range of 8-12, it's pretty easy to raise/maintain the ideal calcium level + Mg level.

I normally keep anywhere in between 380 - 450.

This where IO salt works perfectly fine for the SPS with weekly water change to keep the phosphate + Nitrate level down.

Weekly check Mg at its level (1250 - 1350) to help the SPS and coralline consume calcium to build its skeleton.