power is out!

lletellier

My power just went out and I don't know when it is gonna be back on what do I need to do?? It will probably be out for a few hours :cry:

anyone? I can run to the store in the next hour if I need to??

Do you have a battery operated air pump? I wouldn't worry about temp right now...

If you sitting at home, maybe get a clean cup and randomly create some flow by swishing it around. My tank's been powerless for 2-3 hours with no ill-effects.

Lance,

You can run out to your nearest store Wally or SuperPetz and get a battery operated air pump until the power is back.

Yup, I would even put a couple of these battery operated air pumps. One at each end of the tank. That way you will have more that enough water surface agitation to enable oxygen exchange at the surface.

FWIW, when hurricane Isabel hit us back in 2003, my tank (120 gal) survived a full week without power thanks to three of these batteries.

Edited by JMsAquarium

I wonder how much can be run for how long off a portable jumpstart-type battery+inverter.

crisis averted and got a air pump and the power is supposed to be on in about an hour thanks for the support everyone!

Guest webshout

My power was out for about 6 hours Friday night. I woke up twice during the night and stirred my tanks for a bit. I think battery opperated air pumps would be needed for extended time w/o power. I'm still trying to convince my wife that we need a portable generator for hurrican season. :biggrin:

William