Question on Intake for Closed Loop

Antiguan

I was thinking about doing this for two reasons. First, it would conceal the intake pipe and, second, fish would not risk getting sucked into intake with a strong pump.

I was thinking about doing this for two reasons. First, it would conceal the intake pipe and, second, fish would not risk getting sucked into intake with a strong pump.

Such a position would likely draw air bubbles into the closed loop, pumping them back into the tank. You might be able to pull it off but IMHO I it would not be worth the risk of hassles.

Without an experiment, I'd go with no. When you kill the main pump (not CL pump) your water level typically drops below the level of the overflow so no more water is fed into there. This would potentially cause your CL pump to run dry since not enough water inside the overflow to keep it running.

The alternative stance is that the water level in the overflow would decrease so no more water is going to the sump but there is enough water in the display section to keep feeding the overflow and keep the CL moving. I think this option would require careful calculation on placement of the CL intake.

Take a look at what I did for my CL (pic below). I oversized my drains to prevent exactly what you're talking about. Then I just used the standard strainer screens and it doesn't look bad. Once I have enough rock in the tank, they'll be covered anyway. This closed loop is on a 120 gal powered by a Reeflo Barracuda and an OM 4-way. The barracuda is running wide open and I haven't had any problem with fish even being pulled toward the drains much less sticking to them.

DSC01765.JPG

DSC01811.JPG

at first i was thinking no, there is no way. but

I was thinking if water is taken out by your cl at the same rate it is being dumped back into the tank... why would there be an issue?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Since there are so many unknowns and possible problems with such a set up, I am inclined to place intake in display.

Brian, thank you for the pictures and great idea for the CL.

at first i was thinking no, there is no way. but

I was thinking if water is taken out by your cl at the same rate it is being dumped back into the tank... why would there be an issue?

The flow through the weir is unlikely to be able to keep up with high throughput of the closed loop.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Since there are so many unknowns and possible problems with such a set up, I am inclined to place intake in display.

You can run the CL pipes into the overflow & have the intakes go through the wall = they're in the tank but hidden.