Flames....Averted

hbh

Well, Now we had our first close call. My DH came out of the laundry room into the family and saw flashing lights between my QT and the wall. He turned to look and saw FLAMES! He unplugged the now melted heater plug. The outlet it now blackened. I thank God that my DH came and was able to prevent any major fires! Anyone care to help me out in redoing the outlet? I'm terrified of doing anything electrical. I'd be glad to trade for babysitting or professional clowning or a meal to take home! I'd be grateful for the help!

Wow Holly I'm glad he was there and that you all stayed safe!

Well, Now we had our first close call. My DH came out of the laundry room into the family and saw flashing lights between my QT and the wall. He turned to look and saw FLAMES! He unplugged the now melted heater plug. The outlet it now blackened. I thank God that my DH came and was able to prevent any major fires! Anyone care to help me out in redoing the outlet? I'm terrified of doing anything electrical. I'd be glad to trade for babysitting or professional clowning or a meal to take home! I'd be grateful for the help!

What's a "DH"?

Holly, do you have fire extinguishers in your home? There are regular ones such as for kitchen fires, and there are ones for electrical fires. I've seen them for as little as about $15.00 but can't remember where.

Fires are terrible news:) I think this is like the third time I've read of heaters malifunctioning including mine:P I bought one of the expensive heaters with the titanium piece and a tempurature probe... but it failed and this is the 3rd heater I have had fail on me...One ended up eletricuting me:) VERY BADLY anyway I wish we could create a heater in the club and manifucture it we could make a ton:) I liked the idea of using two smaller heaters... but this doesn't solve the electricution problems.. anyway I hope things get better in the heater situation!

Holly,

Thanking God with you that your family is safe!

Holly I'm glad your family and home are safe. Do you care sharing brand, age and condition of the heater? I would like to know. Not to HiJack but I am starting a new thread to collect data and hopefully it will be pinned for future reference.

Raf

Was your outlet a GFCI? I'm in Bethesda, I can install a new outlet for you if you're available during the day on weekdays.

Wreck

on weekdays

(edited)

HI all! Thanks for your kind responses! Yes, a "DH" is Dear Husband! He had been skeptical of my having a SW tank but very supportive nonetheless. We have extinguishers... but in this case my DH just pulled the plug on the 100w theo hydor ( short one) heater that is less than a year old! It wasn't a cheap one either! At this point I have no heater in the tank but the temp stays around 74... I'll replace the heater soon, but for now all 3 fish seem happy in the 10 gallon QT tank.

rsaavedra- your welcome too have the heater if you want it...

Wreck,

I am home as our family homeschools. So any day would be awesome! It was not GFCI but I won't mind it being made that way if possible... I'll p.m. you w/ phone # and we can work this out. Thank you so much for your offering!

Edited by hbh