The soon to be "not ugly reef tank"

My wife and I finally got a place of our own, and I am moving the tanks in the basement-finished section.

Today I drilled my 75g and painted the back and re-painted the fish tank stand.

The basic plane is a 75g display, 100g sump, 55g gravity fed refugium, two 250w MH, two 65w atinics, two Korila power head (the largest ones) and two Tunze 6025s, for now a 700g pump returning the water split between the tank and refugium and pc lights over the sump.

I am going to use less live rock and more corals, mixed sand bed and the current fish in my 55g holding tank (plus a new fish or two that might follow me home)

Why a 75g? Cost much less than a 90g and takes less energy to run it. I had the equipment to start with, most if not all, is in use in my holding tank.

Why a 100g sump? Because I had the tank and I think more "non-fish" water the better.

55g refugium? The same, and to grow lots of food for my difficult to keep fish. Anthias and copperband.

How will it look? Much better than what I have now.

Photos soon....

What kinda bit, drill and fluid did you use to drill your tank with?

I got a bit from Blue Ribbon Koi and used some of my daughters play dough to form a dam around the cut area and filled it with water.

If you are going to drill a tank I have a bit that was only used once. I have two, a 11/2 and 1" bit.

I got a bit from Blue Ribbon Koi and used some of my daughters play dough to form a dam around the cut area and filled it with water.

If you are going to drill a tank I have a bit that was only used once. I have two, a 11/2 and 1" bit.

I need a 3" bit for a 2" fitting, I think. :) They are not cheap.

Congratulations on the new house! Do you have any pics of the drilling in progress? Pics of the end result? :)

Nope, couldn't hold the drill and the camera. I am going to take some before, during and after photos tomorrow though.

Bad news, I had massive die-off during the move. I may have to re-call (buy?) some frags back from members.

Right now I am looking at most of my purple plate coral dead, my milli (of course) all dead, slimer dead, extra large staghorn-dead.

What happened is I put all of my corals in a holding tank and the heater malfunctioned and cooked the tank. Man what a stink, the whole house reeked of dead marine life. My wife was thrilled that our new house stank.

Lost a Jawfish and a peppermint shrimp as well.

I have been rinsing the remaining corals with new salt water, from the main tank, to save whats left.

I'll post photos soon.

Guest MikeInFredVA

Now my fish are showing signs of ick. This has not been a good move.

last time I was at blue ribbon they had a mess of Neons, to me its better to let them eat off the Ick then to introduce chemicals, but all my taks are chemicla free as I can keep them. And for the drill bits I think they are waiting to get new ones in cause i'm been waiting awhile for a new bit for my 2" hd BRACKETS FOR MY NEW 26 g hex to start it up and make a little living room piece.

(edited)

gallery_615_375_40646.jpg

Small tank of death

gallery_615_375_52237.jpg

check out the white coral, I cut this down and saved the live rockgallery_615_375_36990.jpg

acuascaping the new gallery_615_375_2545.jpg

front viewgallery_615_375_73301.jpg

refugium with spare soft corals

Edited by martin

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to see my old tank, most of the fish and corals are dead. The only fish I have left are the tangs and cromis.

:cry:

I wish I could do something to help you out, Martin. I'd consider pulling the fish out and putting them into a QT tank and start treating them. Let your tank go fallow without fish for 10 weeks or so to let the Ich die off. Then it would be time to rebuild.

I'm really sorry to see you and your tank going through this. :(

I know how it feels.

My tank is fully recovered now. 5 months since my bout with AEFW and no signs of the little buggers. I haven't added anything new since treatment. Still don't have much in the frag tank yet, but I could give you some small frags from the display. Rose, Pink, Blue, and Bubblegum Milles, Purple Stag, blue tort, lavender stag, green birdsnest . . . .

LMK

(edited)

:cry:

I wish I could do something to help you out, Martin. I'd consider pulling the fish out and putting them into a QT tank and start treating them. Let your tank go fallow without fish for 10 weeks or so to let the Ich die off. Then it would be time to rebuild.

I'm really sorry to see you and your tank going through this. :(

I've thought about it, but now I am down to fish that aren't sick. I don't think its ick anymore, maybe marine velvet or something like it.

I know how it feels.

My tank is fully recovered now. 5 months since my bout with AEFW and no signs of the little buggers. I haven't added anything new since treatment. Still don't have much in the frag tank yet, but I could give you some small frags from the display. Rose, Pink, Blue, and Bubblegum Milles, Purple Stag, blue tort, lavender stag, green birdsnest . . . .

LMK

What is AEFW? maybe its what is in my tank.

Edited by martin

Martin,

Sorry to hear about your heater accident. We're just restarting our tank again, but I'm happy to give you some frags to get you started once your system is up and running.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the filters in my RO/DI unit, it was filthy and old (2+years) and did a water change. It had an imediate effect on my yellow tang. It was hiding out and not eating as much and as soon as the water was changed with the new filters it came out of the rock work.

I also blasted off the rocks with a mag 5 pump before changing the water to get rid as much slim as possible. Next I'll add carbon to the strainer bag and see what happens.

This is going to be a long rehab process.