Which skimmer would you get?

jamesbuf

I'm torn between what skimmer I should get my folks for there FOWLR tank. The Remora obviously isn't cutting it as there is a pretty large algae problem. My folks are complaining about the aglae and want me to get them a skimmer upgrade, and its their money, so here are my options. I've got a guy on RC willing to sell me a Deltec MCE 600 for only $325 shipped. I was also considering a Tunze 9010. Both these skimmers can be used without a sump which is what I'm trying to avoid having to setup for them. Both are around the same pricetag too. The Deltec is about 3 years old and the Tunze would be new (unless I could eventually find one used on RC for cheaper).

Which would you get for a 55gal FOWLR tank?

3 year old Deltec MCE 600

or

brand new Tunze 9010

Thanks for some input. I'm having trouble deciding.

I guess the deltec, have you looked at other suspects for the alegea problem? You've seen my setup I have no algea and I only clean the glass every 2 -3 days. I have a fuge and that cannister thats all, aside from my awesome flow and skimmer. My stock list forces me to feed heavier than average too.

deltec all the way. the mce600 is supposed to be awesome. no problems when water level fluctuates, pulls tons of stuff out. actually rated for about a 200 gal system if i remember right.

Tough call, not certain I'd trust a 3yr old aquabee - and they ain't cheap to replace. On the other hand it IS a good skimmer. I know nothing of the Tunze, they do make good products.

Doesn't the Tunze have to reside in the tank? (I see no way to feed it) - that would take up some serious real estate.

If a Remore isn't cutting it on a 55 I'd be looking at what else I should be doing. The Remora SHOULD be plenty for a 55.

1) Upgrade the pump and clean the Remora.

2) Check your phosphates, maybe too high a level is causing excessive algae. Maybe add a phosphate reactor.

I can honestly say that the MCE600 is the best hang on skimmer I've ever seen. However, for a 55g tank I think you would be better off giving the remora a good rogering and add a hang on fuge.

Decided to go with the deltec. I've just read too much great stuff about it. I saw one in action at BRK and it was pulling out some nasty skimmate. I'll let you know.

Well I switched the Mag 3 to a Mag 5 on the Remora and man does it make a difference. Its pulling out some pretty nice foam now. Guess I'll be doing a Remora Pro VS Deltec MCE 600 skimmer challenge once the deltec arrives.