Free Computer Programs for Keeping Track of your Reef.

Highland Reefer

I find it helpful to keep records of my reef water parameters, Livestock purchases & $$ I have put out. I have downloaded several free computer programs and tried them out, but am not really happy with the way they are setup. They tend to be either to simple or too much. I was wondering if anyone out there has found one they like or perhaps someone has written their own, they care to share.

I found these two free programs have the best for what I like:

AquaLog - http://www.joejaworski.com/aqualog/

ReefCon LT - http://www.infinitysoft.net/ReefCon/

I am working on a replacement for Aquanotes which will feature a web interface where the app itself is hosted at a reliable datacenter. I am sick of aquanotes crashing and not telling me when it can't get data from an aquacontroller. Most of the features I am working on relate to high availability and robust monitoring of aquacontrollers, but I may eventually put in features like livestock tracking etc. I tend to just use spreadsheets to do that sort of thing though. Once it is in a more usable state, I will post here and see if anyone with an AC3 wants to help test it.

Justin

I am working on a replacement for Aquanotes which will feature a web interface where the app itself is hosted at a reliable datacenter. I am sick of aquanotes crashing and not telling me when it can't get data from an aquacontroller. Most of the features I am working on relate to high availability and robust monitoring of aquacontrollers, but I may eventually put in features like livestock tracking etc. I tend to just use spreadsheets to do that sort of thing though. Once it is in a more usable state, I will post here and see if anyone with an AC3 wants to help test it.

Justin

Justin, I volunteer to help you test it once you get it working.

I have some experience with spread sheets and know how to basically set one up. I would imagine there are some people who do not know how to setup a spread sheet. I for one, would be interested in seeing how you set it up. I don't know if it is possible to post a downloadable program on this site. Just a thought. :)

Justin

Justin,

I'd also like to help test it out once you get it up and running. I have the full version of AquaNotes and it's not very user friendly. I have also found that it will crash for no reason and I have to reinstall the program just to get it to work again. When I check my ACIII thru the internet, I usually can not get the graphs to load either.

Guest scubadrew

I'm in the process of developing an online parameter tracker also.

It's functional today, totally FREE and I'm adding more feature all the time.

Let me know if its missing something you want!

Here's the link:

tt.jpg

Edited by scubadrew

Of the two software that Highland Reefer shown, I like the second one, Reefcon LT more. It has more features in it and the layout is clean and simple. I like Ctenophore idea of replacing a buggy AquaNote with another software that can incorporate the ACIII information into it. Ideally, I'd like to see the best of both world combined.

Justin,

I test software for a living and have an AC III ... would be happy to test this. :) Post it or send me a PM.

Thanks,

John

Justin

Forget ReefCon. The product has not been updated in years. I purchased a lifetime license long ago (free upgrades) and later figured out that the software has basically been abandoned. The author will take your money but does not answer emails and doesn't even try to maintain his site.

Forget ReefCon. The product has not been updated in years. I purchased a lifetime license long ago (free upgrades) and later figured out that the software has basically been abandoned. The author will take your money but does not answer emails and doesn't even try to maintain his site.

They have abandoned Reefcon Lt & Reefcon 2000. Now they have Reefcon Pro, which is no longer free. You may be able to get the Pro version for a reduced price. It is now distributed by Infinity Software. I do not know who the original distributer was. This commonly happens with cheap software when it first starts up.

I'm in the process of developing an online parameter tracker also.

It's functional today, totally FREE and I'm adding more feature all the time.

Let me know if its missing something you want!

Here's the link:

tt.jpg

I signed up an account. Then Created a new tank. I could not find the tank after that. Does it take a while before you are officially a member of your site and then can see the tank you created?

am sure you will have lots of takers.....on the mac side, I have been very happy w/ maquarium just wish it could monitor the AC3

They have abandoned Reefcon Lt & Reefcon 2000. Now they have Reefcon Pro, which is no longer free. You may be able to get the Pro version for a reduced price. It is now distributed by Infinity Software. I do not know who the original distributer was. This commonly happens with cheap software when it first starts up.

I have the paid version and it has not been updated in years. I received no response from the emails I sent to Infintity and I would not recommend that anyone waste money on that product.

I have the paid version and it has not been updated in years. I received no response from the emails I sent to Infintity and I would not recommend that anyone waste money on that product.

Ybe,

I appreciate the info & will stay away from them.

:cheers:

Guest scubadrew

I signed up an account. Then Created a new tank. I could not find the tank after that. Does it take a while before you are officially a member of your site and then can see the tank you created?

Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to create some new test accounts and new tanks and see if I can re-produce the problem, then resolve it.

I think if you sign out and back in, you will see your tank. Sorry for the troubles!

Drew

I am having that same problem as well :(

Edited by st9z

Guest scubadrew

I am having that same problem as well :(

I'm working on reproducing this right now - can you guys tell me what browser (internet explorer 6.0, 7.0, Fire Fox, etc) that you are using? I test in IE and FF and cannot reproduce. Also what operating system are you on?

Thanks!

Drew

I'm working on reproducing this right now - can you guys tell me what browser (internet explorer 6.0, 7.0, Fire Fox, etc) that you are using? I test in IE and FF and cannot reproduce. Also what operating system are you on?

Thanks!

Drew

I am using the latest Internet explorer, which is fully updated. :)

Guest scubadrew

I am using the latest Internet explorer, which is fully updated. :)

Thanks, I'll make sure I run some tests on IE7. Hopefully I"ll have a fix for you both tonight.

Drew I got it working for two different tanks, I just had to refresh and sign out and sign back on. i was able to enter the test results and see a chart of each.

Mine is working now. I don't know if I was doing something wrong or if you fixed it. Looks great, I apprecate your services and will be checking out the full spectrum of your site.

Guest scubadrew

Mine is working now. I don't know if I was doing something wrong or if you fixed it. Looks great, I apprecate your services and will be checking out the full spectrum of your site.

Thanks for the feedback! I think I was able to reproduce the problem for very new accounts with new tanks. Its a cache issue - I'll get it ironed out.

TankTracker is a little light on the features right now, but it will become much more robust in the coming months.

Thanks again for the troubleshooting assistance!

Drew