how do you treat popeye in a fish that wont eat

jamal

i recently got a pair of angels that i have had in qt for about a week and all of a sudden i noticed that hies eye is swollen on one side. my reading tells me that the injury is likely mechanical but is there anything i can do here?

Other than giving him the best food, which I know you are, You might look into the medicated flakes which have an antibiotic in them to prevent bacterial infection and possibly fungal infection. I can't remember what causes pop-eye, but if my memory serves me correct, I think it is a fungal infection. Of course fungal medications can be specific to only a few fungus. My two cent. :)

Sorry, I didn't read that he is not eating. I would look into any antibiotic that you could add directly to the water.

Edited by Highland Reefer

I don't think I've ever seen someone talk about pop eye in a saltwater fish. I'll have to keep up on info.

i recently got a pair of angels that i have had in qt for about a week and all of a sudden i noticed that hies eye is swollen on one side. my reading tells me that the injury is likely mechanical but is there anything i can do here?

While it is possibly damage from skittish behavior, it is more likely water quality with angels.

When popeye arises in QT, suspect an ammonia spike or pH crash, or even both. Especially if the eyes are clouded. Most instances can be addressed with clean water of proper conditions. If a bubble forms behind the eye, a needle may be necessary. A small bit of protrusion from water quality or mild infection will typically subside on its own.

You can dose anti bacterial meds to prevent further issues and make sure the tank lighting/activity around the QT is dim and quiet respectively.

Edit, wow, I am typing and spelling well tonight :eek:

Edited by traveller7

While it is possibly damage from skittish behavior, it is more likely water quality with angels.

When popeye arises in QT, suspect an ammonia spike or pH crash, or even both. Especially if the eyes are clouded. Most instances can be addressed with clean water of proper conditions. If a bubble forms behind the eye, a needle may be necessary. A small bit of protrusion from water quality or mild infection will typically subside on its own.

You can dose anti bacterial meds to prevent further issues and make sure the tank lighting/activity around the QT is dim and quiet respectively.

Edit, wow, I am typing and spelling well tonight :eek:

i use tank water and have tested the ammonia at undetectable for salifert. i use tank water for this reason. my ph is 8.0. his eyes are not cloudy. i did observe him swimming into a rock so hopefully its just that. well is definitely dim. these angels are truly deepwater in that i have one side of the tank lit and one side isnt and they stay on the dark side. i am the only one that moves around the tank all day and only to feed and do a water change. what kind of medications could i put in the water?

Popeye is trickey because there can be several different causes, each with a different treatment.

I once knew a 6-line that had pop-eye for about a year... we tried everything. Never got worse or better. I havent seen him in a long time, but I bet he still has it.

i use tank water and have tested the ammonia at undetectable for salifert. i use tank water for this reason. my ph is 8.0. his eyes are not cloudy. i did observe him swimming into a rock so hopefully its just that. well is definitely dim. these angels are truly deepwater in that i have one side of the tank lit and one side isnt and they stay on the dark side. i am the only one that moves around the tank all day and only to feed and do a water change. what kind of medications could i put in the water?

If medicating an unknown cause, I tend to go mild broad spectrum, say Maracyn combined with Maracyn2.

QT tanks are notorius for declining water conditions, they typically don't have the established support systems so keep an eye on them. Might want to check nitrates, if they are high in the QT, it had ammonia at some point. Better safe then sorry :)

Best of luck with them.