Semi Live Rock

Antiguan

Photosynthetic life (the pretty stuff) may be dead but I'll bet the de-nirifying bacteria is still alive so definitely don't dry the rock; you'd be destroying one of the major purposes of having live rock. It will pretty-up under lights. Go to you local reef store and get a few pieces of rock with nice corralne to seed the rest of the rock.

Edited by Larry Grenier

No offense to James, but definitely don't rinse it in freshwater. Not sure what the point of that would be, other than killing off your bacteria. Just get your tank ready, swish the rock around in the garbage can to rinse it off and remove some detritus then stick it in. You won't have any sort of cycle if you do it this way. The rock is fine, might not be as pretty as it was, but it's still fine.

No offense to James, but definitely don't rinse it in freshwater. Not sure what the point of that would be, other than killing off your bacteria. Just get your tank ready, swish the rock around in the garbage can to rinse it off and remove some detritus then stick it in. You won't have any sort of cycle if you do it this way. The rock is fine, might not be as pretty as it was, but it's still fine.

Dave,

None taken. Question though. He had his rocks sitting in tap water for the past few months. Wouldn't it be better to swish off the tap water from the rocks with RODI water before they are placed in the main tank?

Dave,

None taken. Question though. He had his rocks sitting in tap water for the past few months. Wouldn't it be better to swish off the tap water from the rocks with RODI water before they are placed in the main tank?

hehehehe... he said he did tap water top-offs. If they were stored in tap water, I would agree with you.

bob

Thanks James and Bob. I hope Dave and others will chime in with additional clarification. I do have a RODI unit which is not yet hooked up and just purchased a GSA Standard Eight skimmer. The plan is to start cycling rock in a separate tank until display is ready.

Trevor