skimmer mods

kngfisher

well have been reading all about modding the octpus skimmers on reefcental and have been using the info there to mod my DNW-150 (Octopus Recirc Needlewheel 150) . So far I have ported the 90 degree elbow (both sides), and ported the ventri to use 3/8" OD 5/16" ID tubing instead of the stock restrictive 1/8" ID airline. I also added the gate-valve mod to make adjustments much simplier. Skimmer works well however, I can not seem to feed it enough air. Does anyone have a Dwyer flowmeter that I can barrow to measure how much air the pump is attempting to pull?

I am feeding the skimmer 120g/h tapped off from return pump (eheim 1262) feeding a 90gal display. The skimmer in in my sump (29 gal umbaffled glass tank).

for modding the 90...I started with the 1/4" ID but now am using 5/16"ID (pics taken from reefcentral thread)

StockOTPDNWVenturi.jpg

ModdedOTPDNWVenturi2.jpg

Edited by kngfisher

I have several air meters you could use one. I can tell you though neither one of those is a good venturi design. If you left the pipe material in place behind the air inlet side of the ell and only bored out the pipe in front of the air inlet you would have had something workable. Basically you want this:

venturiuspatent.jpg

so, I guess I have to figure out how/where to get a new 90......because that is where the issue is and why the skimmer is not performing.

so, I guess I have to figure out how/where to get a new 90......because that is where the issue is and why the skimmer is not performing.

I would just call Octopus and see if you can buy a new fitting or maybe two.

Try this:

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic...ndexid=ps-ac-pp

I think you are looking for this, but they have several item descriptions that might match so I'd call.

PS-CV-OTP3000-TF Price $9.99

Intake threaded venturi for Octopus 3000

fwiw, all I did to my NW150 for performance was the mesh mod and I am quite happy with it.

jp

oops - I got the model number wrong, I do not have the recirc.

If we can fix it all the better, in the mean time, will try to order replacement parts.....

have looked on the net but parts for the non-recirc easier to find then the recirc....guess folks dont tend to mod that one as much.

so flowerseller and I....mainly him gave things a go at trying to fix my mistake and now we have made the 90 degree elbow more like the pic dandy7200 posted. How? chip had the idea of shoving a smaller diameter PVC into the 1" 90 to return the part back to the way it was before I ported it. and then we had the idea to bevel both ends if the new insert like the pic dandy7200 posed. We also redrilled the hole for the air tube and returned it back to 1/4" from the 5/16" ID in the middle of the two beveled edges.....next question is should the airline be flush with the inside of the venturi like the pic the dandy7200 posted or cut on an angle facing the pump like

skimmer back online.....bubbles are the finest I have ever seen out of the skimmer. ORP is already coming back up in just the 10min (dropped to 260 of a previous high of 280) it has been back online. will have to check it in the AM.

Edited by kngfisher

so just took a air flow meter reading and the needle does not show a constant reading. The ball keeps jumping up and down with a range of 8 - 12 SCFH l/min . Is this normal? The skimmer in sitting in my sump.

current mods:

gate valve

venturi (RO/DI tubing 5/32" ID)

planed mods

mesh

venturi (1/4" ID)

Edited by kngfisher

current mods:

gate valve

venturi (RO/DI tubing 5/32" ID)

mesh....thanks chip for the labor and dandy for the material :-)

before

7.jpg

4.jpg

after

planed mods:

venturi (1/4" ID)