Red and Green Algae

newfish

Ever since I got my lighting and my skimmer I have had an algae outbreak. I have a greenish algae on the sides of the tank and red algae all on the sandbed. The red is kind of weird because it looks like it has airbubbles coming out.

I was just wondering if this is a normal cycle that I just have to go through, Is it bad, if it is bad what can I get to get rid of it.

Also what normally causes it, is it overfeeding is it the lighting.

I can take pics if that helps

Thanks for the help

Josh

How long has your tank been setup?

What type of lighting did you get?

Are the bulbs new or old?

Did you have no skimmer before the one you just got?

What size is your tank

How often do you do water changes?

Do you run carbon or Phosphate removal media?

Any of this information will help us answer your questions.

How long has your tank been setup? I have had the tank setup a couple of months but just recently got the lighting

What type of lighting did you get? I got T-5 Lighting with 4x24W bulbs

Are the bulbs new or old? Brand New

Did you have no skimmer before the one you just got? i had a skimmer but it was crappy. This one is deffinitly working

What size is your tank? 30 Gallon Tall

How often do you do water changes? Probably once a week or at lease thats how often I add water b/c of evaporation.

Do you run carbon or Phosphate removal media? Honestly, I got my canister filter from someone so I am not sure what kind of substrate is in there. I am pretty sure that there is not running carbon but just normal Fluval Substrate.

As far as water parameters I will have to check and get back.

Noone has any idea what it is or any info????

Yes... actually - we all know. We just aren't telling you :)

The red stuff is 'cyano' - you need more 'flow' of water going across your sand bed, and anywhere else it is. It will form in 'quiet' spots - especially in a newer tank. I have one little area right in the front-center of my 240, where apparently water movement is blocked, and I get little spots of it trying to form.

You can siphon it out when you do water changes - just put the siphon hose right on it. The skimmer won't do much good until you get it loose, and into the skimmer. The green stuff (we need pictures) is probably 'green filamentous algae'; also very common in young tanks. Good skimming and a few snails/fish that like to eat it helps. Try a turbo snail or two.

Speaking of which - my largest turbo seems to have died. At least 2.5" in diameter - I wonder how old he was...

Pictures always help.

bob

Actually, the presence of bubbles typically means it's dinoflagellates or diatoms instead of cyano. It could be either one, hard to tell without a picture. Also, water changes is not the same as topping off. Perhaps I misunderstood, but a water change entails taking water out and replacing it with an equal volume of new water. This helps to dilute the waste products in your water by removing them and then replacing them with water that is free from them. Evaporation does nothing but concentrate them as they don't evaporate, only the pure water does, so when you top off, you're just diluting the waste concentration back to where it started.

As far as why it happened, in a new tank, it happens. You have to go through your cycle. It's almost inevitable that you'll face some sort of diatom bloom or dinoflagellates at some point in time. That's why most will caution you to slow down and wait until you're through with these to start in earnest. When you begin with a completely established system, meaning rock and sand and filtration are in place before you begin your main display, you are sometimes able to avoid this or at least lessen the severity of it.

Here are some pics of the different algae.

I have increased the flow over my sand bed which has gotten the air bubbles to go away and now its just like hair flowing in the water.

The Green algae is on the glass really quick. I have 2 Turbo snails but I think its too much for them and it seems like I am using my Magna Float Cleaner Everytime I go by the tank.

I guess as long as it is part of the establishment of the tank I shouldnt worry about it too much but I just want to make sure.

Algae005.jpg

Algae004.jpg

Algae003.jpg

Algae002.jpg

Algae001.jpg

Thanks for the help

Josh

Red is definitely cyanobacteria, not an algae, actually a Moneran, only other Phylum other than bacteria, and the other is simply green algae growing on your glass. You have excess nutrients in your water, time for a water change. Typically, phosphates are a huge contributor to cyano, as is an inappropriate light cycle. How long do you leave your lights on?

Looks pretty to me ... the green comes from my tank... I just scrape it off and it goes away:) anyway no idea about the red

Red is definitely cyanobacteria, not an algae, actually a Moneran, only other Phylum other than bacteria, and the other is simply green algae growing on your glass. You have excess nutrients in your water, time for a water change. Typically, phosphates are a huge contributor to cyano, as is an inappropriate light cycle. How long do you leave your lights on?

Well Honestly I was not sure about a light schedule. Right now they are scheduled like a normal day with the actinics staying on about a half an hour longer than the white bulbs.

I have done a good water change and will continue to do them on a regular bases.

Any suggestions on a light schedule or is it ok like it is.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

Well Honestly I was not sure about a light schedule. Right now they are scheduled like a normal day with the actinics staying on about a half an hour longer than the white bulbs.

I have done a good water change and will continue to do them on a regular bases.

Any suggestions on a light schedule or is it ok like it is.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

Josh,

What Dave was asking was how long do you leave each light on? 8 hours, 10 hours? Knowing how long each light is on, we can tell you whether or not you need to cut back or if the light is not part of the problem.

Sorry, I think it is about 10 Hours. I will give you a more exact time when I get home.

10 hours is a lot... I run my T5's about 7 hours/day, plus just the 'actinics' (blue+ also) for another half hour front and back. I intend to work up to 8 hours.

bob

• 1 month later...

I have an issue with Red Algae in my 30g frag tank that never showed its face until after I lost my fish last summer from the Ich Outbreak. This is NOT Cyano, but a lettuce type of Algae, soft, very red and grows especially around flow area's and non living tissue area's of the tank.

Any idea what it is and what eats it??? Rhodophyta is one type that make fuzzy bubbles, but the other type is like broccoli?

I'm upgrading bulbs now in my tank for starters, but looking for a crab, snail or nudi that might eat it?

Maybe even a fish?

Doing a quick research, I think I found it:

http://morayeel.louisiana.edu/SeaweedsLab/...Rhodophyta.html

-its the bottom one from the Falkland Islands