Newbie Questions

Hilary

Hey all! I'm a mechanically-challenged newbie setting up my first saltwater tank and I have several questions. Any help would be appreciated (please be gentle and laugh only when you're out of my earshot! :blush: ). I'm setting up a 55g (not RR), with a 10g sump for the skimmer (due to space considerations) and a separate fuge. I'm starting with FOWLR, but recognize that I'll eventually venture into coral-land. I'm planning to pick up my LR from Dr Mac's in a week or two, so hope to have everything pieced together in time to let things run for a couple of days before adding the rock.

- Is vinyl tubing acceptable for inflow/outflow or should I do PVC? (Keep in mind the "mechanically challenged"....)

- Any recommendations for overflow box and submersible pump (for the sump)? I want adequate flow, and it's a little confusing when flow rates for the two pieces of equipment don't match up.....

- I've read recommendations to mix my water in a large trashcan, but then also see that I shouldn't use rubber/plastic that's not food grade. Do you only worry about food grade for storage of water?

- If using RO water, should I use Reef Crystals or is Instant Ocean still ok?

- I got a used canister filter that's been used for FW that I thought I'd use to provide some mechanical filtration and a little bit more flow - dump the media and buy new or go ahead and use as is (maybe just replace the carbon?)?

- I just noticed that the plastic rim on the top front of my used tank is cracked all the way through. Still safe to use as long as the center brace is still sound, or ditch and find a new one?

Thanks in advance for the help!

:bluefish:

Hey all! I'm a mechanically-challenged newbie setting up my first saltwater tank and I have several questions. Any help would be appreciated (please be gentle and laugh only when you're out of my earshot! :blush: ). I'm setting up a 55g (not RR), with a 10g sump for the skimmer (due to space considerations) and a separate fuge. I'm starting with FOWLR, but recognize that I'll eventually venture into coral-land. I'm planning to pick up my LR from Dr Mac's in a week or two, so hope to have everything pieced together in time to let things run for a couple of days before adding the rock.

- Is vinyl tubing acceptable for inflow/outflow or should I do PVC? (Keep in mind the "mechanically challenged"....)

- Any recommendations for overflow box and submersible pump (for the sump)? I want adequate flow, and it's a little confusing when flow rates for the two pieces of equipment don't match up.....

- I've read recommendations to mix my water in a large trashcan, but then also see that I shouldn't use rubber/plastic that's not food grade. Do you only worry about food grade for storage of water?

- I got a used canister filter that's been used for FW that I thought I'd use to provide some mechanical filtration and a little bit more flow - dump the media and buy new or go ahead and use as is (maybe just replace the carbon?)?

- I just noticed that the plastic rim on the top front of my used tank is cracked all the way through. Still safe to use as long as the center brace is still sound, or ditch and find a new one?

Thanks in advance for the help!

:bluefish:

- Is vinyl tubing acceptable for inflow/outflow or should I do PVC?

Vinyl tubing is fine - many people use Spa Flex, I would recommend at least getting the reinforced vinyl tubing.

- Any recommendations for overflow box and submersible pump (for the sump)?

I don't have any recommendations for overflow boxes - some people have luck with them, most people eventually have a flood no matter which one you choose. Just be sure to check it every day.

Eheim pumps are good for submersibles. Many people use Mag pumps, I think they're a bit cheaper.

No, you need to worry about food grade for mixing too - you don't want the plastic to leach chemicals into the water.

Make sure it's RO/DI water. Reef Crystals is the same salt as Instant Ocean but with more Calcium. Since you're doing FO, use the IO

Canister filter can be fine, just needs regular maintenance. rinse/change the filter weekly and new carbon every couple weeks. this is a good place to run phosphate media as well.

If you mean the black plastic thing, I don't believe this has any structural significance for the tank - it just covers the water line.

Are you planning on turning this into a reef tank later on?

If just a FO I would say a 10 gal sump on a 55 is not going to do much for you... I have one on my 20 gal and wish I could have another 20 below but I can get away with it because I don't need a large skimmer. I would say unless you can do at least a 20 gallon I would go with hob filtration and run the canister.

Your going to love dr mac's facility thats where I got my first live rock. That is where I started out the key to corals seems to be filtration and proper lighting.... anyway make sure everything is good and cycled before adding too much and take things slowly .... there are lots of people on here that will be more then happy to help you! Oh and one more thing about dr mac is his live rock has the start of coraline on it if you have reef lighting ready it will grow nicely. :) hope this helps and happy reefing...

Excellent info - thanks! Plan is definitely to grow this into a reef (slowly :biggrin: ), so I'm trying to put it together now with that in mind. Thanks for the info about the sump - it'll be in my living room, so anything I set up will have to be HOB or fit underneath. Glad to get confirmation about Dr Mac's - I've read good things about them from several sources, and the prices (even with the gas) are great. I know that it's going to drive me crazy to drive all that way and just walk out with rock!

You could probably get some hardy inverts like hermits/snails if you wanted something to look at and it would cycle your tank or start the process his rock was pretty well cured the last time I was there.... anyway best wishes Troy

If the rock is pretty well cured, would it make sense to add my dry sand to the tank while it finishes off (and then add live sand when it's done), or better just to wait? Seems I've read not to add anything to make cleanup easier, but somewhere else that adding at the same time can help seed the sand?

Hilary

Thanks Chip and Troy! Question about RO/DI - any recommendations for an affordable unit? I've read about WalMart water and know I can get it at Wally's, but tap is certainly easier than carrying all of that water, plus I'll be a lot more likely to do my water changes..... :blush:

Edited by Hilary

Buying your own RO/DI unit is a smart thing to do.

Like many things in this hobby, affordable is relative. I and many others consider RO/DI units from www.airwaterice.com to be some of the best on the market and with prices only slightly higher than the no-name units you can buy on eBay. Most important though is that Don and Walter offer great customer service, free advice and lifetime replacement of any parts that fail in normal use. I've tested their warranty several times over the past few years and they've always sent out replacement parts at no cost and with absolutely no hassle at all. Two of our supporting vendors, BRK and GSA are now authorized dealers for AWI so you can get the same products and local support from them.

I would personally recommend that you avoid the Kent Marine units (too expensive) and the eBay specials (no support and no warranty). RO/DI units from www.thefilterguys.biz are also very good and I understand their customer service is top notch although I have never purchased from them.

If you drink bottled water, you might also consider buying a RO storage tank and goose-neck faucet with your RO/DI unit. I have RO water plumbed up to a faucet installed in my kitchen sink and it's some of the best tasting water you will find anywhere and at a fraction of the cost of even the cheapest bottled water.

Thanks Bob! I just placed an order with Air, Water & Ice for their Typhoon 5-stage RODI unit based on your advice. That seemed to be one of their most popular models?

Yes, most people buy either the Typhoon 5-stage or the Typhoon III. The only difference is that the Typhoon III includes a DI bypass, pressure gauge, hand held TDS meter and other bells and whistles that are not included with the other unit. Adding a pressure gauge alone down the road will cost you $29.95 + shipping so I usually recommend spending the extra $40 up front and getting the Typhoon III. Either one is a great purchase though.

If you change your mind and decide to go with the T III unit, send an email to them and they might be able to change your order before it is sent out.