small tanks

martin

My "wife's" 10g jawfish tank is a supprising amout of work, might have to go bigger.gallery_615_322_1659295.jpg gallery_615_322_1001692.jpg

Edited by martin

My "wife's" 10g jawfish tank is a supprising amout of work, might have to go bigger.

The above post wasnt alot of work...........just kidding....why is alot of work?

The above post wasnt alot of work...........just kidding....why is alot of work?

Watter changes, topoff everyday, needs more cleaning. Neat tank though-I'll have to post a photo. The jawfish is keeping its Space Alien eyes on me as I type.

I have to put more effort into the 16 at work than the 65 at home, so I know what you mean.

Edited by treesprite

Watter changes, topoff everyday, needs more cleaning. Neat tank though-I'll have to post a photo. The jawfish is keeping its Space Alien eyes on me as I type.

??? :why: I've never found any of that to be a lot of work, especially on smaller tanks. I spend maybe 10 minutes a week on each of my nano tanks, which seems like a small price to pay considering I stare at them for hours.

Would like to see a photo...

Topping off a 10 gallon tank can be time consuming. ;)

All jokes aside, I use my kalk reactor to fill a large cup with ro/di kalkwasser for a daily top off and then add some Figi Gold calcium powder daily (or so).

I put a couple of sps frags in the tank to see how the do under T-5 lighting, so far so good. There has been some growth. The macro algea is doing well, so is the slim algea. No skimmer on the tank, but it get 80% water changes on a regular basis.

To be honest I don't have a protien skimmer and I only do 20% changes every 10 days or so unfortanlty it does get a bit "slimmy" but yea I run a refuguim powered on sunlight and a sump with live rock and a don't over stock my tank, but yea I am not an expert by any means.... anyway I modeled my tank off of a marine research tank...the basic rule of thumb is you have to have green algee along with corals and red coralinee just everything in moderatoin... Like you don't over stock your cleaners/ganitors anyway everyone that sees my tank thinks it looks dirty:) but I love it .......it also makes it hard to take pictures... and some species aren't really suited to grow there... but yea I love my tank:) The biggest struggle seems to be with heat management/water evaporation. Metal halidine=warmth, but on a plus side I can completly cover my acrlic in green algee in 3 weeks if I ever so choose... Take it or leave it each person's reef is thier own:) P.S I have a chiller I am hoping to keep stuff cooler with fans/chilling... Curently I evaporate 3 gallons every 2 days...The only rule of thumb in my tank is that each organism only exploits one nich to reduce compition....:) The dirty tank has kept a madrin alive and thriving for going on 6 months:).... anyway I won't keep things that are overly agressive/anemies... my clowns host in a donated hairy mushroom and I keep all my fish small:) feed them a variety of food and try and match based on whats going to fit ecologically and not what I think is cool looking..... see ya later guys:) oh and if anyone has any cooling stragies for a nano I would like to hear them...