Skimmer Pump Help

discretekarma

My skimmer pump (Sedra 5000) stopped working so I ordered a new one. My old one fit in perfectly. It has to be exact for it to fit. My new one came with no fitting on top. My old one came with a fitting that went from the top (which has female threads) to the elbow. I think this piece has to be exact. I've been to the pvc section of Home Depot and Lowes and have not ever seen anything that's exactly like this piece. I think it must be made to fit the pump. Does anyone know where I can get it? I've posted pictures of my old pump with the fitting (it wont come out and I've even cracked it trying) and the new pump without the fitting.

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

Looks like it's probably a female adapter. Look for one that fits the pump - you may need to use a piece of pipe to connect the female adapter to the elbow on the skimmer.

It looks like you might be able to cut the piece off the old pump and then glue it to the new pump with some thick glue (like epoxy) that can fill in the gaps...

(edited)

I cracked the piece on the old pump. I think you can see it in the picture. Also, the piece needs to screw down in to the threads of the pump. When I borrowed your pump, I realized that yours had a different piece there and that I wouldn't be able to use it without moding your pump so I bought a new one.

Neither picture is your pump (fyi)

Edited by discretekarma

The fitting on my old skimmer fits right in to the elbow. Do you think this would be a piece that's made for this pump?

It's possible it's custom made. I've seen a few pieces that I think they call faucet adapters - I have a 90 that's sized as a 1" fitting on one side and 1" PVC pipe on the other. I think these are fairly uncommon. Could also be that the 90 on your skimmer is special sized and will accept a fitting. But if it's a standard fitting and you buy a standard fitting you'll need pipe to connect the 2. Yes, I know that presents height challenges :( You'll have to take the pump and the skimmer fitting to home depot and see what you can find.

Is it too late to glue the broken piece back on that broke off...and then take the entire housing from the old pump...and put it on the new pump?