Reinforcing a drilled tank

bprinehart

I drilled my 75 this weekend, yep sure did. I put in 6 holes total, 3 for overflow, and 3 for closed loop. Looking at the amount of glass removed from the panel, I'm tempted to reinforce the back panel by siliconing (sp?) some strips of glass cut to the length of the tank to reinforce what was removed. Anyone see any problems with this?

Also, what is the proper way to dress the holes, sand them? No matter how meticulous I was with the drilling there were still some slight chips taken out of the edges. Any advice is appreciated.

-Brian

when I drilled my tank I didn't go as far as to reinforce the back wall all I did was buy a nice quality bulkhead and silicone the edges of the bulkhead... thats it!! unless I'm missing something but to reinforce the panel you drilled is unnecessary. $.02

I wouldn't think that you would have to worry about slight chips from the drilling. The bulkheads will cover them up, as long as the bulkheads will go through the holes all should be good. As for feeling the need to reinforce the glass it shouldn't be necessary when the bulkheads are installed unless you drilled the holes too close together.

Yeah I know people do it all the time, drilling that is. I made sure to not drill any hole closer than the holes diameter from any edge, and also no closer than 6" from each other. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

-Brian

I wouldn't think that you would have to worry about slight chips from the drilling. The bulkheads will cover them up, as long as the bulkheads will go through the holes all should be good. As for feeling the need to reinforce the glass it shouldn't be necessary when the bulkheads are installed unless you drilled the holes too close together.

Do you have a picture of the holes you drilled? I'm curious about where you placed them? high? low? towards the sides or middle? all in the same (i assume back) glass? and how large are the holes? and have you put water in it yet?

I would assume there is more pressure pushing the glass out in the very middle of the glass, vs towards the sides.

I need to do the exact same thing...drill 4-6 holes in the back of a glass 75...but I've been nervous about doing it.

Edited by Carl

(edited)

Carl-

It's actually very easy to do with the right drill bits. What I did was drill a hole in each of the upper corners for the closed loop returns, I also drilled 2 holes on the same plane for the overflow to the sump, one for the return from the sump pump, and then a hole pretty much dead center for the closed loop inlet.

It didn't take very long either, just have to keep the bit cooled and lubricated, and not try to rush it. I think on average it was about 5 mins per hole. I was able to get 6 holes out of a cheap $7.00 Fleabay diamond bit, though I don't know how many more I could coax from it.

If you would like to see some pics, I should be starting a dedicated thread for it soon. Just have to get my camera back from my buddy. I believe there are also several people in your area that have a lot of experience with this as well.

-Brian

Edited by bprinehart

Brian, I posted on a thread a couple of months back asking about this...and yes there are many who have drilled their tanks...but none at the time confessed to 4 or more holes in a 75.

Have you filled it with water yet?

Have you hit the glass by mistake, say, with a rock during aquascaping, and it survived? How about a 5 year old hitting it with their plastic baseball bat? (I'd like to say my kids are well behaved...but not always)

Looking forward to the pic's.

-Carl