Halide acclamation

FishWife

So, we FINALLY got our new 175g tank up!!!! I'm so excited. Pictures soon, but a question for the committee: we've been running T-5s about 5" above the water (and so, about 15" above the corals) in a holding tank for about 10 hours/day or so. Here's the fixture:

gallery_2631270_303_219925.jpg

Our new setup has 4 250 watt 20,000 K bulbs suspended about 6" off the tank and, let's say, 10" above the top-most corals in the tank. We ran it for six hours yesterday with all lights on, and then went to two bulbs in center for 1.5 hours. Does that sound about right?

Also, we inherited some green mushrooms (large) on a rock that ended up pretty high in the tank when all the aquascaping was done. I know mushrooms CAN do low light, but does higher intensity bother them?

TIA!

Edited by FishWife

There's been a lot of discussion on RC about T5s putting out equal, if not more, PAR than MH's. You should be ok with your method, just keep a watchful eye out.

I have mushrooms high and low in my tank and the highs ones don't seem to mind as they multiply just as fast as the lower laying ones.