Recommended pH Probe for Korallin Ca Reactor?

Kengar

I want to control CO2 injection into my calcium reactor by measuring internal pH. Korallin has available a reactor lid with a probe gland to enable this. Are any particular pH probes recommended for this? I'm thinking it would need to hold its calibration better than "ordinary" Pinpoint Marine probes, since you don't want to be opening up the reactor every other week to pull probe to calibrate, and size may be controlling factor. thanks.

Almost all ph probes (at least the ones I've seen in the hobby) are all the same. The korallin (which is the calcium reactor I have) fits those standard probes. That being said I don't use it... For just the reason you said. INstead I have one of those hang on the side breeding cups and run my effulant into that. I have a couple of holes drilled in the breeding cup about 1.5" above the bottom so that the effluent will drip down into my sump. I put a probe in the cup and use that to measure my effluent.... Simple and I don't have to worry about removing it for calibration.

Dave

hmmmm, makes a lot of sense. Still, though, I would think you'd want to use a probe that holds its calibration fairly well. Any recommendations in that regard?

Hmmm. I've never heard of people having calibration issues with pH probes inside their Ca reactors. I thought that is why people go with the Lab grade pH probe. Aren't those supposed to keep their calibration longer?? You guys officially have me worried now. Is there a rule of thumb for how often you need to calibrate these?

Hmmm. I've never heard of people having calibration issues with pH probes inside their Ca reactors. I thought that is why people go with the Lab grade pH probe. Aren't those supposed to keep their calibration longer?? You guys officially have me worried now. Is there a rule of thumb for how often you need to calibrate these?

I'd go daily to be on the safe side.

I calibrate like once every 3 months... more than that is overkill.

Dave