move an urchin - how??

treesprite

I doubt anyone will be giving me a good answer in the next few minutes but anyway...

This guy is always getting in my way. How the heck does a person go about moving one of these things? They can't be picked up or pushed. They hold tight like glue. Their spines actually have like skin over them so they are very sensitive, not like the sticks they appear to be. I really dont feel like waiting hours and hours for it to budge!

I've been trying the direct light approach and the drips of icewater approach (on the side I want him to move away from), and I have the pump turned off at the moment so he's not even under water. Still wont move.

use a spatula

wont work. I tried sliding a very thin piece of plastic but the urchin spines are touching on the glass and the plastic just ends up in between spines.

Just grab it and slowly pull. You'll end up popping off a few tube feet, but it won't be the end of the world. Most of them will let go. You may also break a couple of spines, but that's not a big deal. Slow and steady pressure will keep you from injuring it.

What Dave said will work if its a long spine urchin I've found I can get mine (8" or so) to move by prodding (Not with your hands :eek: ) and into say a piece of tupperware.

Dave

well, I got it off but was really worried that I would hurt it. He appears ok.

I can't belive the spatula didin't work it worked every time in my tank.

It's impossible to slide anything under it. Sounds to me like you've been having urchin omelettes.