Rocks in my sump or head

Guest Bethesda_Jim

Guest Bethesda_Jim

Hi Everyone,

I've got a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. Recently, I moved the tank and put a bunch of the live rock in the sump. I know others have live rock in their sumps. Do any of you have trouble with cloudy tanks, blocked intake and such?

I appreciate your help.

Bethesda_Jim

Jim,

You might have cloudy tank if the rock in sump has not been cured. If they came from your main tank then it shouldn't happen. I put lots of live rocks in my sump to increase the amount of good bacteria to cycle the water, in return, for adding more fishes. Of course, a larger/adequate skimmer also is another requirement.

HTH,

KLee

I have always had LR in my sump with no problems either.

Porous live rock with lots of crevices in it can really build up detritus. If you switch it out of your tank into your sump, there's the chance that this detritus will now be exposed to current that it wasn't exposed to before, resulting in the detritus being blown out and spread into your tank.

liverock rubble... is there any place that sells it less expensive due to it not being prize worthy pieces?

Guest Bethesda_Jim

Ummmmmmmmm...detritus

Porous live rock with lots of crevices in it can really build up detritus. If you switch it out of your tank into your sump, there's the chance that this detritus will now be exposed to current that it wasn't exposed to before, resulting in the detritus being blown out and spread into your tank.