how to reach

treesprite

so, my BTA has decided to migrate to the center of the bottom of the back of the tank. There is no way in hades that I can reach it to feed it. There's a decent amount of space back there so it's not like it's crammed into a hole and I can see it easily, just not get to it.

What exists that I can use to reach a tiny piece of food back and down there without actually leaning completely over the tank and putting my head in it?

Will the nem be ok on whatever from frozen food stuff lands on it, at least until it decides to migrate to an easier spot?

Now I see the benefit to having rock up against the back of the tank like a rock wall.

You don't have to target feed it, it will catch food on its own. Oh, and the rock wall won't necessarily stop it from migrating. If it goes out of the light, there are sometimes other factors at play. Does it get light back there?

there is a grabber set carried at pet smart stores over near the gravel vacs i have one it comes with a grabber claw and a pruing claw (Has blades) it folds for storage and ir rather skinny so it gets into tight places well.i use it on my 30" some odd tall tank to target feed my nem when my clown isn't, move around frags, and clean up the bottom of hermit shells... i keep a clen tank. it has good grip and cost between $15-20 i dont remember iused my discount. I use it regularly and italong with a simple turkey baster was a very worthwile investment. (you can also get them at petsmart.com) get the longer modle. hope this helped you out

Ok I just don't want it to starve. There's plenty of light back there.

It actually moved to the back of the tank as soon as I put it in there a few weeks ago, but it was at the end so it made no difference. What it has done is put itself smack in the middle of clownland, which is perfect for the clowns and doesn't matter to the nem as long as long as I don't have to worry about it getting food. I would be happier if I could see it just looking across the room.

A powerhead moved out of place the other day and I had to re-position it so maybe that's what happened. Right now the nem is probably in the spot with the least flow, but there is some flow back there. I'm not exactly sure how much is enough or too much for it. If it's not enough I can re-position my flow (using several small phs right now.... lots of options).

What exists that I can use to reach a tiny piece of food back and down there without actually leaning completely over the tank and putting my head in it?

rigid airline with a piece of thick (real thick- but not thicker than the hole of rigid airline) fishing wire/ or some plastic twine.

but the plastic twine inthe airline, and knot the twine at the top and put a piece of food on the bottom, give it to the nem,

but if the clowns are hosting then they will feed it.. i believe.. and um as long as you feed the tank or turkey baster it in the general area, it will get food

My clowns are greedy. They actually try to steal food from the nem, rather than feed it. LOL Generally though, they are not successful, as the nem is BIG and pretty sticky.

Put some mysis in a turkey baster and just squirt it in the general vicinity with the powerheads off. It will catch what it needs...no worries!

Tracy

(edited)

it is now on the lower back wall of the tank back there. It's probably going to keep moving because I had to move powerheads around today.

update: now its between a rock and teh wall, all elongated. I'm trying to figure out if it's just got itself all stretched out funny or if it's trying to split. Do they often stretch themselves out long? I can't get a good enough look at it to really see what it's doing.

Edited by treesprite

• 2 weeks later...

nem is still in the back of the tank and looks "happy" and healthy back there, and it's right in the center of the clown's house so the clowns are very fortunate. I'm wondering, do nems ever purposefully position themselves or stay put in an area where it's clowns frequent?