Saltwater pond?

Steve G

I have a neighbor from Grenada who says he kept a saltwater pond outside his house. Not sure what kind of livestock he kept, but he said that proximity to the ocean made it easy to replenish water and sand as needed. Anybody seen any good examples of home salt ponds (in tropical locales, natch)?

Id would like to say that i have never heard of one but i do think that if one was a very very good aquarist than they could do it... :lol2:

I've read a thread either on wamas.org or on reefcentral that a hobbyist in Europe did this. He built a completely seal glass system underground in his grass yard with pipe running a chiller system to cool down his tank when the sun gets too hot and heater when it's snow outside. In the thread, he included pixes of his setup. Pretty interesting and it shows if one man/woman really likes something, he/she will find a way to get it done.

KLee

Edited by vaironman

Check out the lagoons that have been built in some of the Hawaiian islands. When I was a kid, my parents took me to a posh resort there and I remember the lagoon that ran around near the restaurant (can't remember which island, Kona maybe? Kauai?) that had this fantastic school of Naso tangs that would swim around. They were all full grown and there were tons of males with streamers, all trailing out behind them. What a fantastic site that was... In tropical areas, it's easy to do it, heck, you could do it here easily, too, but I wouldn't put it outside if I were you! A greenhouse would be a great place for one, and my dream is to one day build a saltwater pool to swim in. I'd definitely get that black tip reef shark and the bonnetheads I have always wanted then! Nowadays, pools are being built as saltwater pools, so the technology should be easy to get in the near future for a full blown pool.

Yup. That's the thread for it. Thanks Rascal for the good search skill.

I stumbled across that thread once while I was looking into the geothermal cooling concept. Really cool what he has done.

I've done quite a bit of thinking and planning for something like this. It's the next logical step after aboveground fiberglass tanks in a greenhouse. At one point we were contemplating having the fiberglass builder who did our greenhouse tanks build a partially in-ground giant fiberglass vat (32'x16'x4', essentially a pool). Rather than walk between rows of tanks, we would walk between rows of rock/eggcrate with hip waders. This is how freshwater fish are aquacultured after all. The drawback is the added volume of water requires more energy to move (flow pumps) and heat/cool, without a significant increase in usable surface area from a propagation perspective. But as a swimmable display, I think it's very easily done, and for a lot cheaper than one might think.