first saltwater tank need help

skipperawe

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as many of you may know i recently made a purchase from evelyn of a 72 gallon tank!! it has 9 fish and a lot of coral including a beautiful GSP coral! here are some pictures.

post-2631417-1203966678_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203966766_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203966961_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203966998_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203967094_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203967124_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203967147_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203967176_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203967207_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203967254_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203966249_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203966470_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203966299_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203966329_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203966365_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203966401_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203966470_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203965725_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203965758_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203965795_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203965826_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203966100_thumb.jpg

post-2631417-1203966122_thumb.jpg

ENJOY!

Edited by skipperawe

I've got a question... i have a great GSP in 72G but i want one in 12G. how do i frag a GSP??

Just cut some off and rubber band it down to rock. Nice tank, nice fish, but one thing is they will most likely outgrow their confines. You've got a sailfin, a Pacific Blue, and a Tomini tang in there, two of which grow fairly large, the other of which grows VERY large (sailfin). You won't see too much aggression as they are not high on the aggression scale and have different body shapes (all different genuses) but they will get big!

A couple of pieces of advice, take the star polyps and move them down to the bottom on the sand, isolated from everything else. Take the sps and move it all up towards the top. The reason for this is the GSP are not very demanding of light and they can really overgrow a tank, so by isolating them on the sand, you can prevent them from taking over. They also are aggressive and will sting and kill other corals. The SPS, on the other hand, need more light, so the higher you put them, the better. You might also want to move the ricordea up a little bit, although they should be fine on the bottom. That's a nice addition, they look really good when they're doing well and will multiply and you'll be able to sell them off if you want in the future.

At the top of your tank (I think), you had a picture of a chili coral, or at least it looks like one. Kind of reddish and laying on its side. This is a difficult to keep coral and requires less light (may not even be photosynthetic, gotta look that up) and requires feeding. Here's a good link to the basics of this coral on nano-reef.com. Chili Coral Info.

Back to the GSP again, if you want to frag it, put a rock next to it (touch the rock to the GSP) and let it grow onto it. When it has, simply cut it with a razor, scissors, or just rip it... I used to cut them with a pair of scissors and relocate them using that technique.

Wow lucky 5 grader hes surpassed me in 1 year and hes right about the chilli coral its hard to keep! I lost mine a few years ago its defenlty not photosynthetic it needs to be fed and will burn if left in the light!

ACTUALLY I'M A 6TH GRADER.

;)

Ok i understood that (think) . but if you may please do not use the TLA's because i have no ide what they refer to exept for the GSP. :blush: And it's almost my birthday!!!!!!!!!! (I've been waiting 4 years for this moment!!) :bday:

I have a question, if i am to use the technique shown for fragging a GSP what do i do if the bottom of the coral doesn't touch a near live rock. I mean the fact that the edge of my coral is 3'' from the top of the actual live rock! do i just buy a tall rock?

In other words my 12 gal is doin great and doesn';t have anything new....

Thanks a lot,

Skipper

Edited by skipperawe

leap year is finally here!!!!!!! yes today i turn 3!! im so excited!!

:bb: :bday:

well i can feel your pain already, but wrong again where i am (in fairfax county) JR. HIGH DOESN'T START UNTIL 7TH GRADE! but i still do the same stuff, just in an elementary school. Floris elementary school

after waiting 4 years! i had to have the flu today!!!!! :cry: i'm sick and at home until wed. so if you were wondering (mr. lin) why im not at school it's because of the frickin' flu!! sry. :(

in my math class we have been working on percentages so i found out that there was a 0.07% chance that i would have the flu on feb. 29 2008 and it happened!! :(

my dad has a question. we have a skimmer in the 72 gal. and it doesn't really put foam out of the top like its supposed to.

skipper

Edited by skipperawe

I know I grew I grew up in fairfax county I meant next year:) anyway the flu is the worst my gf had it very bad anyway hope you get some rest and feel better... as for the protien skimmer test the air input and see if its pulling air if not you have a clog in the air line ... Hope it helps Troy

Umm, I hate to butt in here, but, is that a sailfin tang? In a 72 g? The tang police may be visiting shortly ....

:)

I don't think he bought the fish I think they came with the tank:) in either event I wish I could be the tank police! sounds like a fun job!

Yes, just kidding. Its a running joke on this board. Sailfins are great fish. Wish I still had mine. And wish I had a tank like that when I was in 6th grade! Wow. Its an awesome start to a great hobby.

I wish I had that kind of money:) I grew up in a one bedroom house sharing a living room with my brother:) anyway to each there own I know ppl have more money here its just hard to imagine my life with a saltwater tank at 6th grade.

that sailfin came with the tank and it is great!

we are goin to have to sell some fish eventually but none are for sale right now. :)

Sorry, didn't see this thread lately... I know that skipper's dad was as interested in setting up another marine tank as skipper was (happy belated 3rd birthday!). Anyway, is the skimmer working now? Otherwise I can try and swing by to take a look at it. Shoot me a PM so I remember I offered!

yea the skimmer isn't working so good still. but i do have to say that move you pulled when everyone was trying to sing happy birthday to you in the cafeteria was genius!!!!! i mean it was so funny i almost fell out of my seat. really hilarious.

:biggrin: :lol2: ;) :bounce: :clap: :bb:

pics of what?? which tanks i need info. both tanks are doin great and so am i my 12 gal is doin incredible. my mushrooms are multiplying like crazy and everything else is growing insanely fast!!!!!!

my 72 gal tank is green and my GSP wont open this tarted about 2 days ago.

Offer still stands if you want me to swing by to take a look. I'm here during spring break. Call, if you don't have the number, shoot me a PM or look in the directory for Kammie.

The move, Bob, was based on me pimping another teacher. She walked into the cafeteria and I had the 5th and 6th graders serenade her on her birthday. She tried to return the favor, but I'm much sneakier than she is so I walked in the back door and had a looksie as they all waited to sing to me. Kind of fun to watch people waiting to surprise... yourself!

• 2 weeks later...

oh, well unfortunitly i dont take a camera to school. but if u give e a while i might be able to dig something up.