T5 bulbs - brands, websites, and combo suggestions

rsarvis

I have a 180 with an Aquactinic Constellation fixture, i.e., 14 T5 36"/39W bulbs (7 on each half of the tank). My tank's been up for almost a year, so I'm figuring it's time to start rotating some new bulbs in...

As background, the fixture had some bulbs in them already when I got them, don't remember exactly what, and I've added a couple Geisemanns since then. I've been running something along the lines of 3 actinic+, 3 aquablue+, and a midday. (That's per side, as is everything below.)

I usually turn on one switch (with 2 actinic+) in the morning (9ish) and turn it off late at night (11ish); and a timer turns on the rest (the aquablue+, third actinic+, and midday) for about 8 hours.

My questions are:

1) What are brands that are good from both a quality and expense standpoint?

2) What are good websites that usually have bulbs for good prices?

3) Any suggestions for changing up the combo of bulbs or my timing? What would you do differently?

Is it too much light, or is it on for too long?

4) Assuming lighting is a major factor when it comes to red slime, what do I want to keep in mind in choosing new lighting, given that I have some rocks that always grow red slime, but no other algae problems. Is this more a matter of bulb choice, or a matter of my bulbs being old, or other?

Thanks.

Edited by rsarvis

1) What are brands that are good from both a quality and expense standpoint?

ATI and Geismann

2) What are good websites that usually have bulbs for good prices?

BRK has them that being said if it's a pain to get there you can try premium aquatics

3) Any suggestions for changing up the combo of bulbs or my timing? What would you do differently?

Is it too much light, or is it on for too long?

4) Assuming lighting is a major factor when it comes to red slime, what do I want to keep in mind in choosing new lighting, given that I have some rocks that always grow red slime, but no other algae problems. Is this more a matter of bulb choice, or a matter of my bulbs being old, or other?

Thats a lot of light for a long time... could you instead ramp up and ramp down?

Also red slime is a good indecation that your bulbs are going south changing the frequency of the light they give off. Get new bulbs and replace them.

In terms of color temp of bulbs thats more personal choice.

Dave

Ramp up and down on the timer is good,

I run 1 UV Aquablue+ and Super Actinic from 8a-10p, then

Geisemann actinic+ and 6500k midday from 10a-9p and growth has been acceptable!

I've had my 3' 39w bulbs for too long (over 17 months) and just starting to change them over to new ones and adding a 3 set to my 90g tank. Should have started 4-5 months ago, Red Cyano is present now!

Feel free to stop in and see the color scheme I'm running in my 90g 3'x2'x2' tank. I'm getting ready to add a 3 set of bulbs to my tank and looking at add one more Actinic+ and Aquablue+.

www.reefgeek.com is a good source.

BRK local source.

OVERDRIVE :eek: with an Icecap 660 ballast. You will be very happy with the results.

Individual reflectors

Blue Plus and Aquablue on the bulbs, no middays. This gives a nice white/bluish color.

Ramp up/down the lighting sequence. You mentioned that you have two on in the morning and evening and the rest come on miday. On a six bulb configuration I go with this combination for how many are on; 2,4,6,4,2. This can all be achieved on a IC660 ballast and a standard T5 two bulb ballast.

I just converted from PC to T5 this past weekend and I feel stupid for not doing it earlier. I am amazed at the difference. I am biased since I just went to T5, but the Geismann bulbs are really nice.

BRK have pretty good prices for being a LFS.

I have a current fixture over the nano, I took out all the current bulbs because they are just POS. I replaced them with 3 Giesemann actinic plus and one aquablue. I like the look a lot.

Okay, thanks for your input everybody. I'm going to switch in two new bulbs I currently have and then order a mix of new bulbs. I'll definitely have to pay more attention to people's lights when I'm over...

And I'll buy another timer so I can ramp up/down. Are there any timer powerstrips that allow you to set times for each individual outlet? My powerstrip timer has two day, two anti-day, and four always on, so it doesn't by itself allow for ramping up (hence my manual turn-on/off in the morning/night).

Peacetypes, are you a rugby player? Where at?

The best place to buy bulbs is hellolights.com. Prices are excellent and shipping cost is the best I have found and service is good.

Of course, buy locally if you can.

Edited by quazi