New to the Hobby

newfish

The current water that I have in my 30 Gallon is tap mixed with Salt.

I guess it would be best to start a discussion about the best type of water then?

I am not sure what the other types are or best way to do this is.

what is RO/DI.I assume that it is the water that you can get from the Fish Store. Can I mix my current water with this to maintain some of the good bacterias that I have developed in the 30

Thanks so much for the help

For the most part, tap water contains heavy metals, chlorine or chloramine and other things that are harmful to fish and/or corals. Fish tolerate it much better than corals do but you will likely battle algae forever. Since you're probably a long way from adding any corals - certainly any delicate ones - you're probably fine to keep the water you have, but use RO/DI from now on. This is Reverse Osmosis/DeIonized water. It is pure water, typically 0 TDS (total disolved solids) and to keep corals you don't want to use water any higher than 2 or 3 TDS. Buying from the fish store should be fine for now - there may be someone that lives near you that would be willing to sell you some (the filters, DI resin, and water itself get to be expensive) and it would probably be cheaper from a member than from the store - for some reason, stores in NoVA charge an outrageous price for RO water. I've also read about it being sold at Wal-Mart. These dispensers are hit-or-miss. If you can find a member or fish store to get it from, that would be your best bet. I would definitely move toward using that from now on.

As for ro/do water its special water thats had the impurties removed and the phosopates and all of the chlroine. Basically it has to be run through special filters I have 3X6 gallons a jub that I fill maybe once a month. The trick is the intial filling. Thats where the costs start to add up. Remeber that tank water evaporates thats why you have fresh on hand and a hydrometer/refractormeter, to judge salinity. You can also install your own ro/do machine at home, but I have no idea of the cost/matience in that I only have 24 gallons.

Right now if you could spend $80 you could get a membership ($20) and 20 lbs of live rock for you tank (a member is selling some for $3/lb last I checked). Incidentally - it would be hard to find 20 lbs of live rock for $80 from any LFS, so this alone is a good reason to join the club.

My point though, is that if cash is tight maybe upgrading is not the best thing for you to do right now. As someone else pointed out a bigger system is easier but it will also be significantly more expensive. More live rock, more sand, more water to buy or purify, more salt to make more water for water changes, bigger and more expensive skimmer, bigger and more expensive lights, . . . you get the picture. You will even end up spending more on livestock to get it to look the way you want. The same three or four little fish that will liven up a 30 gallon quite nicely might leave a 55 looking kind of empty.

Spend a little bit of that money on that money on taking proper care of water quality in your 30 gallon and you will be much happier in this hobby, I think. Stick with fish only for a while and you don't have to worry about upgrading your lights. Invest instead in creating more flow and improving your skimmer, and don't skimp on salt or water changes (10% per week is what I would recommend).

Good luck.

no one on here will say that you can't have a VERY nice tank with 30 gallons... you can check out my thread to see what I did with my little 20 gal and my tank is still very young. You can do that and then some with an extra 10 gallons. I would say get your 30 set up the way you want it and when you need to upgrade for space do it then. For water make sure you put where you live in your info because you may be able to find someone to "mooch' off of for a while. I've given RO/DI water away several times free of charge and there may be someone in the area willing to do the same for you.

no one on here will say that you can't have a VERY nice tank with 30 gallons... you can check out my thread to see what I did with my little 20 gal and my tank is still very young. You can do that and then some with an extra 10 gallons. I would say get your 30 set up the way you want it and when you need to upgrade for space do it then. For water make sure you put where you live in your info because you may be able to find someone to "mooch' off of for a while. I've given RO/DI water away several times free of charge and there may be someone in the area willing to do the same for you.

I am in the Reston area but I can travel just about anywhere in the D.C. Area as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Yep I tend to agree mine is a 24 gallon nano and it look spetacular draws low amount of electricity and I could even afford a chiller so I don't have to worry about fans. Oh and weight is an issue as well you know what saltwater weighs now multiply by 55. Anyway its really up to you hope you get all your ducks in a row.

Well I was looking at the pictures and I really like dtfleming's pics of the 29 Gallon Bow front.

I think that I am going to just stick with my 30 Gallon and fix it up similar to theirs.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Here are some pics of my tanks so far.

I only have a pound and a half of liverock, a yellow clown gobi, and just got a couple of Nassarius Snails, Blue leg hermits and a couple of turbo snails.

I will keep you guys posted.

Saltwatertank020.jpg

Saltwatertank021.jpg

Saltwatertank023.jpg

Saltwatertank026.jpg

Car001.jpg

Car002.jpg

Has anyone had trouble ordering online from Mrcoral.com.

I am in reston so it would be a quick delivery.

Anyone have shipping problems or not recommend over going to LFS.

Mr coral is kind of a local fish store hes up in fredrick md its about a 1.5 hour drive and I personally recomend going there yourself that way you can pick out what you want. Make sure you join wamas first in that he gives 10% off to wamas members. Hes got a really nice setup going and I found the prices during the social were resonable. (not sure about nonsocial pricing) I would think it would be the same, but he might have been doing specials/discount rates for wamas. Anyway I would highly recomend him. What do you plan on ordering?

Oh and one more thing you need to add shells so that when the hermits get bigger they have new homes if you don't your going to have a bunch of dead snails!

(edited)

Here are more pics with some new rock. Thanks Troy.

In the first picture there is some algae growth on my filter intake. Is this okay algae and if not what can I get to get rid of it.

Saltwatertank030.jpg

Saltwatertank032.jpg

Saltwatertank040.jpg

Saltwatertank035.jpg

Saltwatertank033.jpg

Saltwatertank036.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help. I will keep all posted on the progress.

Edited by newfish

Great display! on making the rock look nice:) anyway if your wondering the snail I gave you is called a bumble bee snail hes one of my favorite snails. Completely reef safe algee/detritovor. Anyway your tank is looking nice. I am glad you joined I hope they give you your membership access soon! Anyway I hope you get your lighting soon. I got mine from www.aquatrader.com for 179 with shipping. My advice would be to think of the long term health of your reef. Think about everything before you put it in and think about seasonal changes. Like heat/cooling. Anyway keep me posted and come over whenever you want to.

Oh and your tank is fine with the algee its going to have some every once in a while your snails/hermits should eat it.

There are several kinds of bad algee, but most are harmless. If you get any that looks like grapes on a vine that needs to be pulled out! if its plate like its fine and if its plate light purple thats what you want. Thats called coraline algee and it will hold your reef togther hope this helps Troy

Here are some new pics with some additional LR. Thanks again Troy.

I am almost set on LR :P Kinda but it is looking great.

Still looking for Lights but everything is coming together nicely.

Enjoy the pics.

Saltwatertank2007.jpg

Saltwatertank2006.jpg

Saltwatertank2008.jpg

Saltwatertank2005.jpg

Saltwatertank2001.jpg

Still open to any suggestions anyone.

Thanks all for your help.

Josh

As you can see I had way too much in my tank I gave him about 6 pounds I had another 20 pounds that I gave away.... Way too much live rock!!! atleast for a 24 gallon the tank looks very good now:) Anyway when you get your lights come see me again and I will get you your first coral..:)

Wow where did you get them:) you got big ones! Mine are about half that size hope all is well Troy

I snagged up the mated pair that marine scene had. I figured I should do it before they go BYE BYE.

They look great in the tank to. Now I just have to figure out what else I want.

Get your lights:) anyway they look good just remeber any time you put new fish in a tank you risk ich.... what are you feeding them....I am exepermenting with a sinking pellet the good news is the mandrin ate the pellets before th clown fish:) which is really good news anyway hope your doing well and keep us posted:>)

Get your lights:) anyway they look good just remeber any time you put new fish in a tank you risk ich.... what are you feeding them....I am exepermenting with a sinking pellet the good news is the mandrin ate the pellets before th clown fish:) which is really good news anyway hope your doing well and keep us posted:>)

I am feeding them a frozen food called Marine Cuisine and they seemed to like it. I also tried some little pellets that I picked up when I got my little goby and they really seemed to like that too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got my last fish for this tank. I know she will out grow it but I have intentions to eventually get a bigger tank. If she outgrows before I can get a bigger tank I will probably have to get rid of her :( but we will see how it goes. I got a Very small hippo tang. She is smaller than my clowns probably only an inch or so. She seems to be adjusting well. Here are some pics. I also got a small feather duster but it hasnt opened yet. Will get pics when it does.

Enjoy. And thanks for the help everyone

New030.jpg

New032.jpg

New029.jpg

She is really fast and really hard to get a picture of. if I get better ones I WILL POST :P

Thanks