my pH level dropped considerably

jnguyen4007

I got an alert earlier from my ACIII telling me that my tank's pH level dropped to 7.32. Luckily my wife was home so I asked her to open the windows down stairs. I logged into the ACIII and get an update just a moment ago and it shows the pH level has gone back up to 8.12 with the temp at 80.4. I've been running the dehumidifier the past 48 hours to dry the carpet from the kalk stirrer that gotten all over the floor. Anyway, with the dehumidifier running, would it cause the pH level to lower? I've never seen my pH level dropped so much than after a day of running the dehumidifer.

As long as the probe was not out of water.

In my house, the dehumidifier seems to almost pull water from the tank, increasing evaporation, increasing additions of kalk and ultimately raising pH.

Keeping the reactor freshly charged help maintain higher pH as well, even at night or early AM when it tpically is at it's lowest levels.

Did the probe get removed from the water?

Dave

No.

In my house, the dehumidifier seems to almost pull water from the tank, increasing evaporation, increasing additions of kalk and ultimately raising pH.

Keeping the reactor freshly charged help maintain higher pH as well, even at night or early AM when it tpically is at it's lowest levels.

I have the kalk set up with an ATO so as the water evaporates, it goes into the tank. I emptied, cleaned, and added fresh kalk powder into the reactor on Sunday. Let it run for about 24 hours before I turned it on the ATO to let it add kalk water into the sump.

With the windows down stairs opened. It looked like the pH is stabilizing around 8.15 for the past hour.

It could have been a bad reading. How long was it at 7.32?

I went back and took a look at the alert I received since last night.

9:00 PM 8.07

9: 21 PM 7.53

10:18 PM 7.95

11:59 PM 7.79

Today

9:00 AM 8.10

11: 11 AM 7.32

With the window opened

12:01 PM 8.15

The 9-9:21 drop seems pretty fast for that dramtic a change... could something be interefering?

Dave

The 9-9:21 drop seems pretty fast for that dramtic a change... could something be interefering?

Dave

You mean something like a power cord from another device lying next to or on top of the pH cable? I don't think so, but I can definitely double check that when I get home. I just logged in a moment ago to get an update and the pH is at 8.17.

You mean something like a power cord from another device lying next to or on top of the pH cable? I don't think so, but I can definitely double check that when I get home. I just logged in a moment ago to get an update and the pH is at 8.17.

Something has got to be up with your AC3 and/or probe. You would pretty much need to pour acid in your tank to get a drop that fast. My guess is electrical interference as Dave suggested.

How often do you add kalk to the reactor?? (trying to sneak secrets from one of the most successful coral-growers in the club)

bob

How often do you add kalk to the reactor?? (trying to sneak secrets from one of the most successful coral-growers in the club)

bob

No sneaking, Me tell.

I always suggest that reactors be "recharged" weekly and emptied, rinsed out, and refilled monthly.

Something has got to be up with your AC3 and/or probe. You would pretty much need to pour acid in your tank to get a drop that fast. My guess is electrical interference as Dave suggested.

That's what I'm inclined to think as well. It seems to have occurred ever since I turned on the dehumidifier.

I still think it is electrical spikes or interference. We'll get that extra probe installed in your kalk stirrer next week and remove any doubt about when you need to recharge your kalk stirrer though.