What is considered as normal pH range

jnguyen4007

I'm curious to know what is considered as normal pH range. My reef tank is located on the ground floor with a discus tank next to it. We rarely open the windows down stairs. I have a kalk stirrer running and filling the sump as the sump water evaporates. With the ACIII running, I see that the pH level in my reef tank is between 8.07 and 8.29 with it being lowest between 6 and 9 AM.

James

According to my ACIII

Mine can range from 8.35 to 7.90 this time of year.

During the summer, I rarely see it go above 8.15 and I've seen it go to 7.78.

Should I be concerned?

I haven't been, but could start. ;)

I think that in general a reading in the high 7s or low to mid 8s is normal (basically if it gets below 7.8 or so or above 8.4 or 8.5 then you're too acidic/neutral or too alkaline). Your readings are fine and you actually have very little fluctuation compared to some tanks.

I think that in general a reading in the high 7s or low to mid 8s is normal (basically if it gets below 7.8 or so or above 8.4 or 8.5 then you're too acidic/neutral or too alkaline). Your readings are fine and you actually have very little fluctuation compared to some tanks.

It's been many years since I last took chemistry in college, so I do have another question on it. If the pH level is low, does that mean that one of the causes could be due to too much CO2 in the air/water and too high pH means there's too little CO2?

It's been many years since I last took chemistry in college, so I do have another question on it. If the pH level is low, does that mean that one of the causes could be due to too much CO2 in the air/water and too high pH means there's too little CO2?

That's the main thing that is affecting the pH level (the CO2 level)... I don't think you will ever have too little CO2 in the system (i.e. the pH will be detrimentally high before that happens), but you can have an overabundance of CO2 which means low O2 which can lead to fish and other livestock death.

As for the normal range 7.8-8.5 is probably safe as Dave allready said. The actual high or low is not as important as the swing!

Dave

That's the main thing that is affecting the pH level (the CO2 level)... I don't think you will ever have too little CO2 in the system (i.e. the pH will be detrimentally high before that happens), but you can have an overabundance of CO2 which means low O2 which can lead to fish and other livestock death.

As for the normal range 7.8-8.5 is probably safe as Dave allready said. The actual high or low is not as important as the swing!

Dave

Thanks Dave and David for the information. Once again, I learn something new that I didn't know before.

James