Ca: Monitor or test kit?

Steve G

I think it would pretty nice to not have to test for Calcium and just read it off a monitor. What do others do? It looks like Ca monitors are fairly pricey. Are they accurate? Last long?

I'm wondering whether to get a monitor but a few strikes against are making me re-think. (1) I still would have to test for alkalinity. (2) I don't think the monitor can be integrated into a controller like the AC. Maybe #2 is not that important since it's not a parameter that should swing so much during the day.

What do others think/do?

From what i heard it doesnt monitor it but you turn the unit on to test it and i also heard it needs to be calibrated alot. You see them for sale on RC for those reasons all the time.

I think it would pretty nice to not have to test for Calcium and just read it off a monitor. What do others do? It looks like Ca monitors are fairly pricey. Are they accurate? Last long?

I'm wondering whether to get a monitor but a few strikes against are making me re-think. (1) I still would have to test for alkalinity. (2) I don't think the monitor can be integrated into a controller like the AC. Maybe #2 is not that important since it's not a parameter that should swing so much during the day.

What do others think/do?

A regular Ca test kit should be more than sufficient and considerably cheaper than a dedicated Ca monitor device. JMO.

James

WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME!!! not only am I always second guessing the accuracy of the thing, but it takes several minutes to level out for a good read. I've asked the dist. of the product and they say they havent heard of that happening. so i called American Marine and he sent me a new one....still doesn't work.

Go salifert or red sea for affordability, Hach and lamotte for accuracy.

Sean

WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME!!! not only am I always second guessing the accuracy of the thing, but it takes several minutes to level out for a good read. I've asked the dist. of the product and they say they havent heard of that happening. so i called American Marine and he sent me a new one....still doesn't work.

Go salifert or red sea for affordability, Hach and lamotte for accuracy.

Sean

Sounds like not only do they cost a heck of a lot more than standard Ca test kits but also a heck of a lot more troublesome to use.