Getting an anemone to move

Those of you who are familiar with the rock work of my tank will understand this more.

I have a condy who hasn't roamed since the moment I added him to my tank. How ever just in the past three days it's decided to do an about face. It's foot hasn't moved from where it planted between two rocks since I added him. How ever the anem has roated from one side of the rock work to the other. He's more centered under the halide... could that be it. It's not as if were he was before was dark (sun pod over a tank that 20 x 18) I've tried blowing water at with with a turkey baster and tonight have pointed a 625 gph power head directly at it and it hasn't moved... any ideas?

Those of you who are familiar with the rock work of my tank will understand this more.

I have a condy who hasn't roamed since the moment I added him to my tank. How ever just in the past three days it's decided to do an about face. It's foot hasn't moved from where it planted between two rocks since I added him. How ever the anem has roated from one side of the rock work to the other. He's more centered under the halide... could that be it. It's not as if were he was before was dark (sun pod over a tank that 20 x 18) I've tried blowing water at with with a turkey baster and tonight have pointed a 625 gph power head directly at it and it hasn't moved... any ideas?

My usual order is:

-powerhead pointed at the foot

-ice in a ziploc placed on the foot

-move the rock into darkness in really low flow and wait for it to start moving

-pull out the rock and hit it with a hammer (not to break it - anemones don't like the vibrations from it and often let go)

-if you get a little bit loose, you can get the rest out by peeling it like a scab - be careful and be gentle (you wouldn't want someone to walk by and just yank a scab off your arm)

-give up and smash the rock

well i don't want to move him, well at least not his location where it's foot it planted is fine, just it opens to the wrong side of the rocks

Guest 120 Gallons

Probably going to be a loosing battle as it will move again if not happy. Ice and powerhead blasting seem to work to dislodge.

JTFF,

The anemone will not let go fast with a PH pointed at it's base.

It will let go but can take some time.

Time could be 5-10 mins to longer, but I've never had longer than 40ish minutes.

Thumping the rock with a hammer, if you can remove it, often makes them let loose too.

Guest webshout

JTFF,

Thumping the rock with a hammer, if you can remove it, often makes them let loose too.

Ok, I'm a total NOOB, but how does this work? Are you hitting the rock underwater, in the tank? Are you taking the rock and nem out of water, hitting rock and then the nem moves when placed back in the water? :why:

Thanks in advance for a clarification.

William

Ok, I'm a total NOOB, but how does this work? Are you hitting the rock underwater, in the tank? Are you taking the rock and nem out of water, hitting rock and then the nem moves when placed back in the water? :why:

Thanks in advance for a clarification.

William

ime, either way works. i usually pul the rock out of the tank since it's easy with my nano tanks. often, they let go out of the water or start moving soon after putting then back in the water.

Excellent and very timely thread!

Chip -- The little guy is doing great, but overnight found the exact back of the [bottom] rock of the island I placed it. I've been wanting to reposition the powerheads anyway, so we'll see what happens.

Matt