Gorilla crab

toastiireefs

I believe i have a small gorilla crab in my tank-

i have been aware of its presence for some time now because i saw its molts hanging around-

how ever its gettting bigger and im worried it will eat my fish one day

id say its body is about the size of a quarter

i finally saw the actual crab a day or two ago and just saw it again today

i guess currently its a good tank mate since its cleaning up all the extra mysis my fish fdont eat...

but i rather it not get the palate for purple firefish or blenny

how do i get rid of it

Crab Trap :) You can buy one or make one... put food in it and wait till he goes inside.

Dave

Crab Trap :) You can buy one or make one... put food in it and wait till he goes inside.

Dave

thanks!

should i wait like a couple days w/o feeding so any he would rather get food cuz of lack of scraps? or does it matter

I think you'll find it doesn't matter that much... be patient it may take time to catch him though.

Dave

Easiest way to catch it is to simply put an empty clean jar in the tank facing up, drop some food in it, put it under a rocky area where it can drop down into the jar, and wait. If you know it's in a certain rock, you can also put the rock on top of the jar and let it drop into it from there.

What if other creatures go in the jar? I'm still wanting to get the big emerald crab out of my tank because it has a taste for coral polyps.

this will be interesting, can i not lay the bottle on its side,, hmm i assume itd be able to get out then... but the rock where it is is on the bottom

i wonder what else i have in my tank... hmm

a very easy and good trap is tank a 18 oz soda bottle, cut the top off there it stops tapering. Invert the top to the inside and use rubberbands to hold it there. The fill with a bit of food and sink that sucker