basic FO tank for beginner friend

treesprite

My never-had-a-tank-in-her-life friend is wanting to start a FO tank, very basic inexpensive setup because she doesn't want to invest a lot of money into something she's never done before. I don't want to give her advice on what I did starting out because I really did not know what I was doing and had very limited information. I suggested she join the forum, but....

Anyway, what would she absolutely need for this very basic FO tank? She doesn't want to deal with a lot of equipment and effort. She's thinking 20g and a pair of percs or ocellaris.

Treesprite, she has lots of options, but generally, "inexpensive" and "low-effort" don't mix.

The absolutely cheapest way would be a tank with an under-gravel filter, crushed coral as a substrate. It would have to be cycled, like any other tank, and she would have to vacuum the substrate regularly, and do regular water changes.

Yeah, very old skool, but they do work.

If she wants to spend more $$$ and less time, I would suggest a "reef-ier" tank, with a DSB, LR and a skimmer. Much less work (just emptying the skimmer and water changes), and better water quality.

HTH,

-R

I've got a complete 26g setup that has everything she needs. See this thread:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18633

I actually told her about that. She doesn't really want to go that high right off, and that is what is holding her up.

The little eclipse systems look very nice, and would have all she needs for fish only. I use a 6 gallon as my QT tank. They come with lighting and biowheel filtration built into the hood.

Substrate, a couple chunks of live rock and/or funky plastic tank decorations for the clownfish to hide in, and some snails and she should be good to go.

Tracy