TEK T5 fixture

steveoutlaw

I have the TEK 24" unit over my nano without the shield for 7 months now with no issues at all. I also have the TEK 48" fixture over the 180 gallon with a shield and I haven't noticed a difference in aesthetics nor performance... However I did get the shield on the 180 because the lights are hung so low to the water surface that splash ups could be an issue... Personally I would not get the shield for it tends to build up heat within the fixture.

the sockets on the TEK lighting systems are NOT waterproof, and overtime salt creep will casue them to short out, I have first hand experience! I would get the acrylic shield, they are cheap.

john

Thanks Josh. I didn't know if it affected performance (such as heat or light quality). I can handle taking the fixture off every couple of months to clean the bulbs and reflectors.......but I can imagine it would be easier to just wipe off the shield.......and that's where I'm torn on whether or not to buy one.

Well.....I just saw John's post. Looks like I'll be getting one after all. Thanks John.

Edited by steveoutlaw

I got a 36" 6x39w over my 65g tank as well, and I got the shield. Figure it's easier to wipe down the shield than trying to wipe down the bulbs! No problem so far, have it running for more than 2 years already...

Just got to wipe down the shield from time to time or it may block some light.

T5s are normally mounted ~4" to 6" above the waterline and as Johnny said, the endcaps in the TEK fixtures are not waterproof. You can expect them to get hit with salt spray and corrode, maybe short out over time, if you do not use a shield. The salt will also dull and pit the reflectors over time so yes, I'd recommend having an acrylic shield. It is nothing more than a piece of acrylic cut to fit into the fixture though, no frame or anything like that. IMHO, I'd buy and cut my own. Wait a minute--that's exactly what I did!

Now here's the rub, TEK fixtures do not include fans and it has been proven that PAR output (and energy consumption) increase with these fixtures if a fan is used to cool the bulbs while they are in operation. The shield not only traps heat within the fixture, it prevents normal air flow or use of a fan to cool the bulbs. This has always been my only complaint about these fixtures. I have an idea for a shield design that will work with the TEK lights and resolve both of these issues, just haven't had the time to make one yet. Maybe over the holidays...

One other note about the shields--they do lower PAR values a little. The reduction in PAR is not that much though (I don't have actual numbers) and I think the benefits outweigh this minor issue.

Thanks for the replies all. I just went ahead and ordered one. I've got it on a 65g and it's the 6 light fixture so I don't think I'll have any trouble getting enough light to the bottom.

Ybe - I'll keep an eye out for your solution. Thanks.