White Pimple on Maroon Clownfish

sheac12

Hi all,

So, my tank has cycled( two weeks at 0 for Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia, PH at 8.3 and Temp at 79.5-80.3F and I went out and purchased a small complement of a clean up crew and a Maroon Clownfish. Everything has been going well but now my Maroon is acting a little strange and has this white pimple on his chin and a small patch, about the size of a pin head, of funky looking stuff on his side.

I spent a lot of time searching wetwebmedia, which IMHO is the most disorganized allocation of facts making anything contained in there hopelessly unreferencable. This lead me to think maybe he had some strange herpes out break, but I know it isnt that. I have eliminated ICK as the cause. Oh and there is one white spot on his underside that is pretty prominent, you can see it in all three photos. I am posting photos and a video in hopes someone can tell me what is wrong with him.

Photos:

image_one.jpg

image_two.jpg

image_three.jpg

Videos:

Thanks!

Edited by sheac12

Oh no get the proactive! ok just kidding, I hate fish illness :( . I'm note sure what it is either but I have Kordon Ridifungus which cleared up something similar on a yellow watchman goby with out affecting any of the corals, there should be a thread about it in the review section, let me know if you'd like it. I just ask for what ever is left back.

Oh no get the proactive! ok just kidding, I hate fish illness :( . I'm note sure what it is either but I have Kordon Ridifungus which cleared up something similar on a yellow watchman goby with out affecting any of the corals, there should be a thread about it in the review section, let me know if you'd like it. I just ask for what ever is left back.

Thanks for the offer, but I went out and purchased Ridifungus. I hope this works. He(I am calling it a him) is acting even weirder then he did when i got him originally. It also seems like whatever it is it is advancing.

Edited by sheac12

Thanks for the offer, but I went out and purchased Ridifungus. I hope this works. He(I am calling it a him) is acting even weirder then he did when i got him originally. It also seems like whatever it is it is advancing.

Last night, after what appeared to be hours of suffering, he died. I double checked all my parameters and they are all at 0/0/0 8.3 (A/Ni/Na PH). I know my test kit works, I purchase it off the recommendations here and when I started the tank I did see my parameters change and then change again.

I just dont get what happened. My skimmer is working and is definitely pulling some ulgy stuff out of the water, I have done my water changes. I even went out and up purchased a(had a 60) 100 GAD RO/DI unit and keep a reservoir of 50 GAL in the basement. Well I guess this is a live and learn kind of hobby, sucks I lost one cool fish over it.

I keep second guessing myself if I should have started treatment on the Ridifungus earlier, if that might have helped or if he was just a sick fish. He had the pimples on him when I got him, but I thought maybe they was just from the chase around the tank.

I dont know if the clown I bought was tank raised, but I will be waiting a few weeks and then going to get another one, this time making sure it is.

So here is a sad face for a lost fish....I hope it isnt the first of many. :(

Wish I had seen the post earlier in the cycle, but that was a tough one from the get go.

......I keep second guessing myself if I should have started treatment on the Ridifungus earlier, if that might have helped or if he was just a sick fish. He had the pimples on him when I got him, but I thought maybe they was just from the chase around the tank.
First rule, if it fails visual inspection, plan on it getting much worse once you get it home. Quarantine will help prevent the introduction of bad stuff to your display tank, but treatment of the new arrivals is a much tougher event. Best not buying anything that has a spot, clamped fin, discoloration, cloudy eye, patching on the body, etc.

The pictures provided are not great for ID, but they do not look fungal to me. More viral or bacterial.

I dont know if the clown I bought was tank raised, but I will be waiting a few weeks and then going to get another one, this time making sure it is.

Tank raised or wild caught, sick is sick. Tank raised tend to have a few things going for them though: acclimated to available foods, better weight on them from shorter shipment/collection cycle, less stops in wholesale, etc.

I would wait quite a few weeks (6), before adding new fish to that tank.

Good luck.

Wish I had seen the post earlier in the cycle, but that was a tough one from the get go.

First rule, if it fails visual inspection, plan on it getting much worse once you get it home. Quarantine will help prevent the introduction of bad stuff to your display tank, but treatment of the new arrivals is a much tougher event. Best not buying anything that has a spot, clamped fin, discoloration, cloudy eye, patching on the body, etc.

The pictures provided are not great for ID, but they do not look fungal to me. More viral or bacterial.

Tank raised or wild caught, sick is sick. Tank raised tend to have a few things going for them though: acclimated to available foods, better weight on them from shorter shipment/collection cycle, less stops in wholesale, etc.

I would wait quite a few weeks (6), before adding new fish to that tank.

Good luck.

What would you have suggested for the viral/bacterial treatment?

What would you have suggested for the viral/bacterial treatment?

Bare tank treatments with furan, maybe a few of the dyes (meth-blue), but the first and foremost suggestions: do not purchase a visibly sick fish and use a QT tank for all new additons.

Bare tank treatments with furan, maybe a few of the dyes (meth-blue), but the first and foremost suggestions: do not purchase a visibly sick fish and use a QT tank for all new additons.

Thanks, and where would I get furan?