Best Flow Design

MOT

Hey everybody, I am setting up a 120 reef ready tank, with 55 gallon refugium. I have been thinking of the best way to setup waterflow. It seems to me that those Tunze nano-streams create the most beneficial flow patterns. I also thought about making my return just like the way Fishwife did it, (split the return line up under the sand bed. Or something similar involving dividing up my return... especially since i have two megaflows allowing massive return power. I would like to keep a mixed reef. My current tank doesn't have very strong flow because i have very few sps. Is it possible to have good sps growth with flow that won't blow away mushrooms? I could go on forever...sorry, basically just want to know if I should waste my time plumbing some crazy return system if the Tunzes will be better anyway. Or better yet put propellers on my return kinda like the modified maxijets... put THAT in your pipe and smoke it! Thanks yall, Tom

I don't want to get into this argument :) I do NOT plan to have a closed-loop in my 240, relying instead on strong return from my sump via a WavySeas, and powerheads (the tank has a good place to put them). If that doesn't work out - well, the closed-loop is a possibility, as much as I dislike having the extra plumbing running all over the place.

Mushrooms don't mind a bit of flow, though I'd not suggest pointing a powerhead straight at them. I spent hours adjusting my large Koralia in my 58 so that a) it didn't blow sand around and b) it didn't blow the strongest 'lobes' of its flow directly at any corals. I found that even tough monti digi would stay closed up under too much flow. The Koralia has two 'lobes' of greatest flow and velocity about 30 degrees apart. I have one lobe pointed into open space toward the front of the tank, and the other lobe pointed at my overflow (which bounces it around and spreads it out). In the 30-degree 'center' which has lower flow, is the closest coral (a large monti digi rock). The Tunze powerheads seem to have less velocity, with similar amounts of water being moved. I will probably run two of the Koralia's in the corners and one Tunze in the center of my 240 for starters, and see how it goes. My goal is no sand blowing around at the front of the tank, but good polyp sway and movement throughout the tank. I often check my 'flow' by squirting mysis from a turkey baster. After I see how it moves; the fish get their dinner.

Have fun!

bob

I don't think that there is a "best" flow design. The closed loop allows you to hide things a little better for a "neater" design, but I don't think that there is an advantage one way or the other flow wise.

On a 120g tank you could use a sequence dart through an OM 4 way for a closed loop. This and your return pump should create some good flow.

OR, you could go with a couple of Tunzes on a controller coupled with your return for flow. The tunzes would give you more flow options with the controller.

My advice would be to take a look at tanks with both and see which you like better. It's all personal preference.

Exactly - a mix is always a good thing. It will come down to how much DIY and $$$ you want to invest too.

Slow flow through the sump using your return plumbing for lots of skimmer and media reactor contact time.

Rockin closed loop with lots of jets and a powerful, efficient pump.

Powerheads for any dead spots or to be more precise.

jp

Slow flow through the sump using your return plumbing for lots of skimmer and media reactor contact time.

Rockin closed loop with lots of jets and a powerful, efficient pump.

Powerheads for any dead spots or to be more precise.

The combination approach works for me.

Some more food for thought.

An advantage of closed loops that doesn't get mentioned a lot: you get water movement around the intakes too. So if you have a manifold with multiple outlets at the top of the tank, and 2 or more intakes around the middle or bottom of the tank, you are moving a lot of water around at different areas of the tank = less dead spots = more stuff in suspension longer = good for corals & skimmer.

An advantage of powerheads that doesn't get mentioned a lot: if you put them on a battery back-up you will be able to run them for very long time as opposed to your return or cl pump. For example, with my system I can run my return for about 3.5 hours and get about 800 gph of flow, or I can run my 2 MJMod 900s and get about 2000 gph of flow for 36 - 48 hours.

Finally, you can always add powerheads to an established tank if you feel you need to, but it would be really hard to add a closed loop once you've got water and livestock in there.

Sorry here is the thread

My First Tank

This link doesn't work.

Interesting topic. For me, I get plenty (and could get too much) flow in my own (125 RR) tank with 2 megaflow overflows and a single return pump, which splits off into 4 separate nozzles which I carefully point in 4 directions. I never saw a need to drill all those extra holes and add yet another pump.

I do have a single powerhead inside my tank connected to a manifold with many holes in it which provides some extra flow, but it's not needed, and often goes for months "off" when I forget about it.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Thanks for all the replies guys... really interesting topic for me. Does any body have experience with wave boxes? or the wavyseas oscillating return?

Something to think about:

We all want to keep the gunk in suspension and then get it up and out of the tank via the overflow at the TOP. And how do we usually do this? We shoot water across the TOP of the tank - which then hits the sides and goes DOWN. Or, even better, we angle the water flow pointing DOWN from the TOP. And yet our overflows are all at the TOP!?!?! In other words, we are helping gravity by pushing the gunk down and defeating our goal.

Soooooooo, after thinking about this for a while, I have a plan - of sorts. When I get around to building my next tank - probably next summer, I intend to run the return pipes to the bottom of the tank and feed some sort of lattice/matrix of pipes covering the bottom which will have small holes every-so-often pointing up. Which means, the water flow will start at the BOTTOM and move to the TOP where my overflow is. I have not quite figured out how I am going to do this as I would like a sand bed as well. I figure I will be able to run a pretty good sized pump, and with something close to an even distro of flow across the bottom, really crank up the gph flow. I will also have a CL to give the flow some variation.

(JC pollman) yeah fishwife's return works kinda like that, you should check out her thread...

Right: here's ours:

gallery_2631270_258_63619.jpg

gallery_2631270_258_14088.jpg

Filling it up:

gallery_2631270_258_12085.jpg

Upper return manifolds on two sides:

gallery_2631270_258_91939.jpg

Engine room:

gallery_2631270_258_573359.jpg

gallery_2631270_258_580947.jpg

Tank today:

gallery_2631270_258_190808.jpg

Hope this helps!

I think they're tank thread was lightly based off of this one, finally I have the right link

New plan on this tank by the way. It will be powered by a sequence dart on the CL and a ehime 1262 for the return

Something to think about:

We all want to keep the gunk in suspension and then get it up and out of the tank via the overflow at the TOP. And how do we usually do this? We shoot water across the TOP of the tank - which then hits the sides and goes DOWN. Or, even better, we angle the water flow pointing DOWN from the TOP. And yet our overflows are all at the TOP!?!?! In other words, we are helping gravity by pushing the gunk down and defeating our goal.

Soooooooo, after thinking about this for a while, I have a plan - of sorts. When I get around to building my next tank - probably next summer, I intend to run the return pipes to the bottom of the tank and feed some sort of lattice/matrix of pipes covering the bottom which will have small holes every-so-often pointing up. Which means, the water flow will start at the BOTTOM and move to the TOP where my overflow is. I have not quite figured out how I am going to do this as I would like a sand bed as well. I figure I will be able to run a pretty good sized pump, and with something close to an even distro of flow across the bottom, really crank up the gph flow. I will also have a CL to give the flow some variation.

Shhhh.... I don't want everyone to know why my water stays so clear!

bob